• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Kennedy top box - $80 in Lindsay

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
342551603_5539448292823035_7587340075950424868_n.jpg

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I've never been a huge fan. I had 2, still have one (at home). They just never fit what I want them to fit. They are not deep enough, and the drawers are too shallow. Also not a fan of the slides, and the pulls are too small. Feel like I'm playing with dollhouse furniture every time I open it. I need way more of them to fit all my stuff, and that takes up too much real estate which I don't have.

Give me a good mechanic style box with ball bearing slides (with many shallow drawers) anyday over a Kennedy top box. I know I'll be judged for that, and have been judged for that in every shop I've worked in. It's a rite of passage to be a "machinist", But I'm just not a fan of machinist boxes for the tools I need at my job nowadays. They ARE decent for holding some machinist specific tools though, like layout tools and other more manual specific stuff, but I never use those at work anymore. I do at home though, which Is why my Kennedy is there. But having to open and close those drawers all day would drive me nuts. I tried it, I sold it lol.

I DO like their bottom boxes though, just never see them around here in my price range. I'd love to pick one up for work, and bring my big beach home and restore it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
But having to open and close those drawers all day would drive me nuts. I tried it, I sold it lol.

I like the boxes for metrology stuff. I don't have one but do keep looking at them. But those pulls would drive me crazy too. Can't they be replaced with something bigger and more practical?

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Give me a good mechanic style box with ball bearing slides (with many shallow drawers) anyday over a Kennedy top box.
My FIL trained as a millwright. He built a wood version of a Kennedy which he gave to me years ago. Even w/ my limited amount of measuring tools, etc., I filled it up. Too, I found some things just didn't fit. Although I don't have roller slides, I found that a top chest works better for me, as well.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I had two Kennedy 520 boxes and sold them both. I find the drawers are too small.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I love my Kennedy boxes. I have 3. They store all the small stuff very well, and the bottom boxes ( I use eregular mechanic's rolling boxes do all the rest. Perhaps I have a lot of small stuff.

Last edited:

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I have a similar Waterloo box that lives on the upper shelf of my work bench. I think they are a bit over rated, but handy for small stuff.

Attachments

• 88DEB6FC-CF92-4B36-B20F-D4A2F66AAC7C.jpeg
    88DEB6FC-CF92-4B36-B20F-D4A2F66AAC7C.jpeg
    581.7 KB · Views: 9