• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

keller die filler Langley BC

fixerup

Super User
No sure if this item will be a deal, it's being auctioned. But somewhat hard to find if you want one. I do use mine every now and then.

2597490.JPEG

JReimer

yeah the BlondiHacks one is the same one that Clickspring uses (but he doesn't have a video on building it). Looks good. Makes me want to get this one day, or from the auction as my own kit :). Just can't decide if it is worth creating an account for... will keep watching and debating.

buckbrush

I have the same die filer, this one looks pretty complete, it has both over arms. The. Last time I talked to Keller I bought their last overarm set. I think they still make power hacksaws. I had one of them at one time.

trevj

Ultra Member
Yeah, I would consider that the overarms, represents a fair bit of the recognizable value in the deal. Bid according to risk tolerance, as I have done VERY well, on stuff that was described as being sold for parts, but know a few deals that were EXACTLY what they claimed to be, Parts! Which is to say, without seeing it in person, it may be all there, or it may have suffered a wreck, and the innards are missing or broken. Not to say that you could not build those, just...

fixerup

Super User
I have the same die filer, this one looks pretty complete, it has both over arms. The. Last time I talked to Keller I bought their last overarm set. I think they still make power hacksaws. I had one of them at one time.
Buckbrush,
I also have the same Keller 1A die filer, but I am missing the larger overarm. What is the difference between them, is it spring loaded?

buckbrush

Yes, it is spring loaded, I think it is mostly for saw blades and polishing stones. I can’t get at it now my shop is all stuffed and disorganized. I just bought a Bridgeport 2E universal horizontal mill.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Yes, it is spring loaded, I think it is mostly for saw blades and polishing stones. I can’t get at it now my shop is all stuffed and disorganized. I just bought a Bridgeport 2E universal horizontal mill.

Interesting, I have a Keller and the overarm does two things it has a foot to hold the work down, and roller to support the file. Both imo are quite desirable if not necessary. What does the second arm to, and what is spring loaded?

buckbrush

The arm is square stock within a bigger square casting. The small stock is a slip fit in the larger casting and has a coil spring at the top end to keep it straight and loaded. Google Keller die filer Then images and you will see some with that type of overarm. When I talked to the factory they said both overarms were extra cost options.

The Keller website is gone, I assume they closed. They were in Wisconsin and were moving to Florida when I dealt with them.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
ok, so the spring holds the tool in tension, I suppose also with a piston and cylinder for alignment? I've not used one like that and note you say its for stones and saw blades, so its not really something that is a great advantage for filing?

buckbrush

It works better with the longer files for me, it has no advantage for the short files in my uses. I was surprised to find that the old “Shopsmith” multi purpose machine had a set of short die filer files available as an accessory. They can be found on Ebay sometimes as “jig saw files”

fixerup

Super User
Sold for $102.50 which is not bad of a deal, I got mine for less than a hundred but it wasn't has good of a condition and I am missing the overarm. I hope it's a Canadian Hobby metal worker that bought it. Maybe he got a manual with the parts list drawing which was include in the picture. Would be nice to have a copy :rolleyes: