KBC stub length drill set

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bought these a while ago & I am quite impressed overall. Its the KBC house brand which can sometimes be iffy, but I think this particular set is euro made. Usually I am a tool snob when it comes to drills. I like Precision Twist USA but the price is getting up there. I'm not sure if its the short length, more rigidity or just plain good tip geometry but I think I could have made a continuous chip for 3/4" depth. This is 0.500" drill in 12L14. In hindsight I personally would buy stub length as my first go-to set. The vast majority of times I don't drill anywhere deep enough to justify jobber length, but I guess that depends on your work. But you do get the benefit of rigidity & potential reduced runout if its decent quality. The drill case was nothing to write home about. Most of the numbers are hidden so you have to remove a drill in front to see the value behind it.

Attachments

• IMG_2142_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2142_edited-1.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2143_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2143_edited-1.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 0

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Model number & current price. They offer a numbered set as well. Sometimes they come on sale or wait for discount code.

Attachments

• SNAG-11-12-2019 0000.jpg
    SNAG-11-12-2019 0000.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1

John Conroy

Premium Member
I bought that set as well. The index box is junk but the drill bits are as good as the Dormer ones I have. A great deal I think.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sorry I brought the wrong set (numbered) set today John. The numbered drills look virtually identical to the fractional set. Note they are 135-deg split point (vs. more typical 118-deg) if that makes a difference to you. I haven't seen a metric stubbies offerred in a set like these, but looks like the drills can be purchased individually in progressive incremental sizes at KBC/other vendors, which is kind of odd. Unfortunately the case itself is sized for these length. I think using a jobber case might not work.

Attachments

• SNAG-11-17-2019 0004.jpg
    SNAG-11-17-2019 0004.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-11-17-2019 0005.jpg
    SNAG-11-17-2019 0005.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 0