• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Just wondering

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a Asian 10x22 lathe that has a reverse tumbler in the gear train and that allows the transmission to be put in neutral and no power is transmitted to the lead screw. Many other versions of this lathe do not have the reverse tumbler mechanism....are the lead screws in those machines always powered?
I've attached a picture of my gear train and that of a similar lathe without the reverse tumbler. g0752_det3-5dcbd4ca76330bbdc389909107e29115.jpg 20210404_104220.jpg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ok I believe that model of the Grizzly lathe I posted to contrast with mine actually has a reversing and neutral position in the gear box as opposed to a tumbler mechanism but I know many other models do not have the reversing feature.

gerritv

Gerrit
The G0602/G0752 do not come with a tumbler, nor do they have a reverse setting in the gearbox. You can place the leadscrew in neutral by placing one of the 2 gearbox knobs 'in between the detents' or safer, move the bottom gear sector arm out of the way.

I have a King KC1022ML, very similar to the Grizzly lathes. I added a tumbler so that I can do LH threads. Or RH threads away from the chuck (with tool upside down). I generally leave the lead screw disconnected, not a fan of the gear noise.

Gerrit

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The G0602/G0752 do not come with a tumbler, nor do they have a reverse setting in the gearbox. You can place the leadscrew in neutral by placing one of the 2 gearbox knobs 'in between the detents' or safer, move the bottom gear sector arm out of the way.

I have a King KC1022ML, very similar to the Grizzly lathes. I added a tumbler so that I can do LH threads. Or RH threads away from the chuck (with tool upside down). I generally leave the lead screw disconnected, not a fan of the gear noise.

Gerrit
I stand corrected on the Grizzly lathe. In my browsing I came across another similar lathe that I thought was the models mentioned and it did have a gearbox reverse/neutral/forward switch.
So without that option is the gear train grinding away needlessly? Do you just move gears out of mesh or disconnect the lead screw another way?

gerritv

Gerrit
I move them out of mesh,
my goal this year sometime is to build:
to 'solve' the threading and feed issues once and for all.

Gerrit

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I move them out of mesh,
my goal this year sometime is to build:
to 'solve' the threading and feed issues once and for all.

Gerrit
Oh man that does look like just the ticket! I've been thinking the "Meeks" dog clutch was the thing to have on my lathe but now think this might be better yet. Looks far too computerized/ programming involved for me to figure out but maybe good folks like you will be the pioneers in setting it up for lathes like ours.