• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Joseph Crawford Jr Company lathe

Getting some screen time trying to dig up any info at all on the Joseph Crawford Co. name on the lathe...
Interestingly...I found a mention of Hendey Lathes on Prac. Mach.... crawford that's a hendey

I kept clicking links, going down rabbit holes...and I found this on Vint. Mach. ....
8329-A.jpg

I'm guessing, literally of course, but going by the dials on the apron, and the enormous tail stock with the double bolts near the base...

VideoCapture_20240804-115702.jpg

Looking at the apron, is it possible that something this old would have a power cross feed as well?

VideoCapture_20240804-115724.jpg

I've also learned that I have an extra set of jaws for the 3-jaw chuck that come with this...my friend set them up in shape and he figures they might clamp as tight as 3/8"...so having that capability is pretty cool
I'm just in awe of the tail stock right now...thing looks like it belongs on the bow of a ship...spitting mortars out at U-boats...lol

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that you probably have cross as well as longitudinal feeds. Best thing is to see what does what by shifting into each position and spine the headstock by hand and see what moves and in which direction. There's a lot of style built into old machines like that. Enjoy the journey cleaning it up a little and making some chips, your world of potential projects just went nuclear........ Let's see some more pictures as you go along....

Reading the Hendey manual...there's a lever called "reverse" on the RH side of the apron...
Yeah...I'm gonna be able to do some pretty neat stuff I reckon...
I'll be posting the updates for sure...here and on my YT

well...this is interesting...
Funny none of us noticed it at first...
I think my machine and this machine listed, are one in the same...the lopped off support at the head stock is telltale, not to mention the empty holes on the left hand side where some kind of controls must have been.
I don't think the little DRO came with it...but that honkin' big motor sure did.
It is now, in Kelowna...still on the trailer though...my buddy got called back to work earlier than expected...
But the boss at work says I can borrow the Toyota forklift to put it in place...thankfully, there is enough room on the trailer still to get the lift up and bring both to the house...
If I can wrangle a camera operator (hello Mrs Dragon?) I'll try to get some video up on the channel
ahh life...an lemons...and then lemonade right?

Gents...another picture update...went to where it's currently resting, uncovered it and ran my peepers over its 105 year old bod...for a Centanarian...she's in alright alright alright condition...
Key things to note...
20240815_171018.jpg
# 402 of this model...

20240815_171026.jpg
4 speed fixed mount gearbox...

20240815_171108.jpg
Leadscrew over an inch in diameter...

20240815_171036.jpg
That drive belt will DEFINITELY need to be replaced...

Spun er' over by hand...can't feel anything like it's going to implode...feeling good about this...

Back