Tool Japanese Ebay mic

Tool

Downwindtracker2

When looking on Ebay for used (cheap) mics, I noticed reasonable prices on used Mitutoyo mics in Japan . It included free international shipping . I got a call from DHL today it was being held in Richmond, BC I think, for the brokerage ,customs,and taxes fee , $41.35 . I'm not too put out about that, shipping seems to be at least $20 now.. If it's half as good as the photos, I will be quite pleased. But I thought I would pass that on. On the order there was an option, maybe, for Japanese post . It might be slower but Canada Post fees are much less. They are used tools.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When looking on Ebay for used (cheap) mics, I noticed reasonable prices on used Mitutoyo mics in Japan . It included free international shipping . I got a call from DHL today it was being held in Richmond, BC I think, for the brokerage ,customs,and taxes fee , $41.35 . I'm not too put out about that, shipping seems to be at least $20 now.. If it's half as good as the photos, I will be quite pleased. But I thought I would pass that on. On the order there was an option, maybe, for Japanese post . It might be slower but Canada Post fees are much less. They are used tools.
Just hope that it's not like "Made in Japan Mitutoyo" dial test indicator I ordered directly from China/Aliexpress.
The fact you are getting it shipped from Japan is pretty good assurance that it will be better than my Aliexpress "Mitutoyo" I would think.

Downwindtracker2

I had thought that about the Japanese origins.,too. Strange you should mention those "Mitutoyo" . At the price of a Princess Auto dial indicator, I wouldn't expect real Mitutoyo. In fact I was looking at a metric DTI . Maybe the counterfeit would be good enough for me.

I have a mill/drill . As an outside micrometer is the tool for a lathe, the depth micrometer is a mill tool. I had a experience with a Chinese depth mic that I questioned , one of those that you pop the rods in and out, I couldn't get two reading the same. It could have been me. It wasn't serious work, I was just using it as much as for practice as measurement. I pulled my new Mit,( KBC on sale), I got repeatable numbers. Whither they were right or not is another question. chuckle This one I ordered was metric depth mic.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have lurked on a few Japan 'stores' on Ebay & I was also sniffing around Mitutoyo measuring equipment. Never did pull the trigger, mainly due to 'want to have' vs. 'need to have'. The prices were about 60-70% N-Am (new). I sent some PMs about return & warranty & what city... to sniff them out a bit. It seemed about as legit as I could tell, but you never really know these days. The typical scammers usually have a strange mix of products, like Mitutoyo calipers, nail polish & orange Dremels for $12.

My buddy buys (used, older, more collector) high end camera gear & watches from Japan direct. I've found some nuggets for RC gear that cut out the middleman here. Most of those are stores though, they generally don't do Ebay unless surplus. I've always wondered if there were online tool stores for machining goodies. I want Japan Kijiji! I mean 125 MM people live there & they make the stuff, right? there has to be more to choose from than Kanuckistan.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Unrelated but I had to chuckle. AliExpress (of course).
Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Pay them $11.24 & pocket $38.76 at a (preferably dark) pub. Free Shipping! LOL

1668668813404.png

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Unrelated but example German tool seller on Ebay. They do exist. Maybe a niche side business I dunno. I was after some specific tools & he had them. Cheaper than the Canadian distributer out east & who told me 8-10 weeks because it was special order & had to come in from the States. Uhm...No. Tracked parcel arrived in a week.