• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Itty bitty tapping head

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
This tapping head does 1/16 to 3/16.

Attachments

• Baby tapping head 2.jpg
    Baby tapping head 2.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Baby tapping head 1.jpg
    Baby tapping head 1.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 36

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've seen pictures of those micro tappers. What is the purpose of those 2 opposed screws? I thought to retain against the flats of the tap body but they almost look like cams?
1619721285980.png

Ian Moss

Have one. The top screw seats on the flat of the tap for driving. The two together allow the tap to float a bit for alignment. Works well.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have two tap chucks and I also have two tapping heads.

Tap chucks are more in "rigid setup" without any feeling or back movement. The little tapping head has tension setting so I can safely tap even tiniest holes without worry (I just have to set tension right).

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
I also have the grand dad to the little tapping head and have tapped many holes with it.The torque settings are easy to change and quite sensitive. You can feel through the spindle exactly what is happening.