IT'S TOO BIGGGGG!

You know, I had (have) a small 2" vise on my mini mill. Great for small things obviously but not so much for anything big or for making aggressive cuts. So I thought it was time to get something bigger, better, more accurate, more cool looking.

Well, apparently a 4" CNC vise is almost as big as my mill!!

IMG_20240221_105718.jpg

Now I need a new mill, seriously.

You know, I had (have) a small 2" vise on my mini mill. Great for small things obviously but not so much for anything big or for making aggressive cuts. So I thought it was time to get something bigger, better, more accurate, more cool looking.

Well, apparently a 4" CNC vise is almost as big as my mill!!

View attachment 44402

Now I need a new mill, seriously.
....... well, if it's going to be this easy, may I suggest that you buy a bigger vice....
The little one you just bought and the tiny one you had will be fine on the bigger machine. :cool:

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I upgraded from my Precision Matthews 5” machine vise to a 6” Gerardi. I was afraid when I bought it that it would be TOOOOO BIG for my RF45 clone. But it was a beautiful vise and an awesome Kijiji find - so it followed me home. Now that I’ve lived with it for a few months, I can say that yes it is big but definitely not too big. It does everything the smaller one did plus it has the ability to do a lot more.
Here’s a picture (from this morning) with the Gerardi beside the 8” rotary table. The RT is also big for this mill - but not too big.
Love em both :)

Going to sell the 5”
210960DD-996A-4437-A6E0-359725078D0A.jpeg
27AF5020-B99A-4713-84FC-EC170EF0BB4F.jpeg

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Now bolt the Girardi to the rotary table to mill a few skued grooves.
Just kidding . . .
Creative use of your tooling will allow you to get into all types of setups.
Just be careful when you are combining units where assembly clearances can add up.

Isn’t that 3” Vise from a surface grinder ?

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Now bolt the Girardi to the rotary table
No intention to do that. But the project seen in these pics is making the centring pin for a 13” diameter fixture plate for the 8” RT. Then indeed, I could clamp the Girardi to the RT.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
A neighbour gave a pair of them to me. Nice little vises. I thought they were ‘tool maker’ vises.

This is another one of those things like Vernier and indicators.

I see them called machinists vise, or tool makers vise, or grinding vise. So far that hasn't been a problem for me but it would be nice to get a good solid clarification.