• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Is this a Rivnut setter?

Tool
Absolutely ! If you want to try it out , I have some downspout work back in Maryland . :D

We just call it a rivet gun , or pop rivet gun if you please .

Thanks gents. Didn’t think it was pop rivet gun as the opening is about 3/16” so I’d have to have Popeye arms to use it.
And there’s nothing to grip the rivet.
But I think it’s missing some parts.

Funny Dave . I have those type rivets from my buddy's tools I bought . Never knew what they were used for , but I guess I have the riveter also . Somewhere in the mess most likely . I take it the rivets are threaded for using in sheet metal ?

Thanks gents. Didn’t think it was pop rivet gun as the opening is about 3/16” so I’d have to have Popeye arms to use it.
And there’s nothing to grip the rivet.
But I think it’s missing some parts.
My pop rivet gun uses both 1/8” & 3/16” shaft rivets: the shaft is inserted into the nose of the gun and is gripped by jaws inside the head. I’ll post photos.

I have some rivets but they are all way too small for the insert that’s in the gun now.

Visit your local PrincessAuto, you can see what parts are missing and make them. And of course buy some RivNuts from a Canadian supplier while there.

I (possibly) stand corrected: I believe that this is the Harbor Freight version of what @DavidR8 has:

HF Threaded Insert Tool.webp
This one handles 6-32 — 1/4-20 Aluminum "Threaded Inserts". Each size requires a threaded stud (which his is missing) and a matching nosepiece (which he has).

Here is my Rivnut Tool (with M8 tooling & Rivnut) and my HF Tool (with 10-32 tooling & insert – David's nosepiece is probably for 10-32 or M5, close to 3/16"):
Exploded Tools n Tooling rfs.jpg

The Rivnut tool is significantly larger and more heavily constructed, and will handle up to 1/2-13 & M12 Aluminum & Steel Rivnuts. Here are the assembled tools:
Assembled Tools rfs.jpg

I had forgotten that I had the small HF tool – was in the Pop Rivet toolbox – and also forgot that the ends of the studs that mount into tool head have left-hand threads: @DavidR8 – you will need to do some testing to see what thread (and hand) the studs need to be if you plan on making them; they should also be hardened steel.

So unless I have the inserts my tool is basically useless. ☹️
Those are great pictures @ChazzC very helpful!

Last edited:
Unless I am mistaken, I think they would be easy to make.
Other than the potential left-hand threaded end (if @DavidR8's are like this); not impossible, but not necessarily easy unless you have/get a LH die (McMaster has a good selection, but all cost more than a new tool kit. Would be better off selling to someone who already has the tooling. (not as much fun, though).

Back