Is there a newbie thread to read on properties of different metals?

Noltez

Rookie question, I know. I did a couple searches and came up empty. Is there a more recent thread than the Sourcing Metal sticky on different types of metals? Maybe one with their machining qualities? The local metal supply shop (B&D Steel here in Burlington) is pretty friendly but I'd like to know what I'm looking for when I go ask for some shop supplies to get started with.

Thanks,

Noltez

Ok! That's as good a start as any. I tried to watch a couple videos on the 'tube there but I do better with written text when I want to jump back and forth for comparisons and such.

Thanks!!

francist

Super User
This is kind of a handy thing to have on hand too if you have a hankering to scrounge around junk yards. Kind of gives an idea of what things may be typically made from.

1623350356426.png

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
the complete answer is very big textbook....lots of materials and lots of properties. The ASM handbook is now 36 volumes :D

A service centre web site like metal supermakers is a good idea. Nice to machine and common? free cutting mild steel like 12L14, 360 Brass, 6061 AL, or for something a little stronger 1144 stressproof.

If its for actually making something what to use depends on what it is you are making. If you just want to practice, one of those above or regular 1018 mild steel works (a good finish on 1018 will hone your tool honing skills). Thats what you got as a high school kid 40 years ago, a piece of hot rolled 1018. You figure it out kid, and even as half there, lazy idiot teenagers we mostly did :)

Last edited: