• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Is Google translate really that bad?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
One of my frustrations with cheap Asian sourced machinery and tools is the often atrocious or completely lacking instructions and manuals. I find it hard to imagine that getting a decent translation from an bilingual person is so difficult or expensive. It only has to be done once for a product and I would think it would add value and greatly increase product satisfaction.
Here I have the instructions for motorcycle hand grip warmers I got off Aliexpress, while they certainly are not the worst example of translation I still find it unsuitable.
20220121_152541.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
And why am I venting here? Good question. If moderators choose to delete this post I will understand. I guess I just thought it might be something others could relate to.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Tell me about it.....Google Translate is that bad....LOL. I got a VFD with a manual in Chinese:eek: Jumped through hoops trying to translate it into something useable. Eventually gave up and started soliciting vendors for a copy in English. What I eventually scored is not bad but not great either. Your image is sideways?

ChingLish.jpg

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
As someone who started in Mechanical Engineering and ended up in English Literature (of all things), I can relate totally.

I worked as a Technical Writer for years and can tell you it isn't just about translation; the underlying instructions are almost always flawed as well.

My favorite was from an early Ford owners manual (Model T or A) that had the procedure for refilling the "petro" tank.
It was a 10 step process and after performing the first nine steps, Step 10 said:

Step 10: Before performing the previous 9 Steps, extinguish all smoking materials.

Last edited:

deleted_user

Super User
As someone who started in Machanical Engineering and ended up in English Literature (of all things), I can relate totally.

I worked as a Technical Writer for years and can tell you it isn't just about translation, the underlying instructions are almost always flawed as well.

My favorite was from an early Ford owners manual (Model T or A) that had the procedure for refilling the "petro" tank.
It was a 10 step process and after performing the first nine steps, Step 10 said:

Step 10: Before performing the previous 9 Steps, extinguish all smoking materials.

I worked on a federal program. Everything had to be bilingual. I ended up paying many thousands for english to french translation and having to spend hours educating the translation company because they did not understand the technical matters they were trying to translate.

That said, the Chinese seem to give their poor Chinese instructions to school children to translate into English, because Google Translate is not as bad as manufacturer's instructions.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I worked on a federal program. Everything had to be bilingual. I ended up paying many thousands for english to french translation and having to spend hours educating the translation company because they did not understand the technical matters they were trying to translate.

That said, the Chinese seem to give their poor Chinese instructions to school children to translate into English, because Google Translate is not as bad as manufacturer's instructions.
Valid point.

We used to have a saying: You get what you pay for. And no one pays for the writer.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Having done a stint as a technical writer I can tell you that even when both all parties speak the same language there is still a tremendous knowledge hurdle to overcome to create intelligent, comprehensible documentation.
Now add in language whose fundamental constructs are completely different from English and that's just the start of the challenge.

Sorry I can make sense of most instructions, I learned reading manuals from reading HP manuals in the late 70's. Figure those out, everything after that is easy.