• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Inflation is hitting used lathes hard these days it seems.

justin1

Super User
Saw this on my downtime at work kinda made me scratch my head a bit. When I think fully rebuilt lathe this isn't what pops into my head lol.

I would of thought that with the flood of ok quality Chinese machine tools used 1440 and below lathes the prices would kinda drop the prices when it came to older lathes unless it was sought after brand named lathe. Colchester and monarchs 10EE and the likes

I remember when I bought my first lathe around 2014ish I was shopping for 1440 sized lathes seemed like there was lots available for 1500-3000$ and now there is still deals to be had but I've seen some pretty out there prices last few years lol.

Screenshot_20241017-140103.pngScreenshot_20241017-140914.png

It isn't inflation, it is delusion.

There are always one or two people who have these huge inflated values for their lathes who just dont look at the reality of the market.

I include this one among those. Its a 10x22 lathe for gods sake and worn. I always assume such sellers are lying about their high end bearing replacements too... like a used car dealer.

We have a seller like this in Toronto with his shop closing sale that's been ongoing for years and his crappy lathe and now a clapped out surface plate he wants $1000 for.

Edit:

For this to be worth the asking price the bedways should have been ground. Yes it is decently appointed with chucks and a nice looking control but nothing special, and an underpowered motor IMO.

Last edited:
I could have this 12x48 surface grinder for 3k USD and probly get it shipped up to me and be right around that fellows asking price. Got distracted looking at stuff I want one day.

Would love to find one of these In Canada around 60" that or old gantry planer around 8'

Screenshot_20241017-152812.png

Holy Crap! Makes my 6x12 seem like a toy!

Gotta wonder how well it REALLY works at 48 inches.......????

To be fair, if you look at the lathe listing it does appear to be in good shape, the seller is legit with lots of 5-star reviews, and runs a marine repair business. Still a bit steep on price. Includes DRO, VFD, ER32 collet chuck.

If
Holy Crap! Makes my 6x12 seem like a toy!

Gotta wonder how well it REALLY works at 48 inches.......????
Even if it gets a thou or so over 4 feet I'm sure it could improve some lathe beds I think I need 60" if I want fool around with fixing lathes :) that's and bunch of other stuff but a guy can dream ATM. And ye weights a lot more then my 6x18 by good 19k

To be fair, if you look at the lathe listing it does appear to be in good shape, the seller is legit with lots of 5-star reviews, and runs a marine repair business. Still a bit steep on price. Includes DRO, VFD, ER32 collet chuck.

It is in good shape cosmetically and probly can make ok parts but looks like it wasn't oiled at some point in its life. But for the asking price that's a brand new 1236 lathe with DRO maybe a tool or 2?

He cleaned up his lathe, prior to photos and listing it.
That there, alone, is worth 7299 - lol

Ye a guy near me did sorta same thing basically but was trying to flip what I assume some a barn find just less cleaning. He listed the lathe sitting on a trailer rusty had that ad up for almost a year I think. then brought it in side and cleaned it a bit and relisted at same price and it's been for sale for over a year now I think.

The price is more reasonable but being 460v and if I was too guess worn out for type of lathe probly won't sell or while.

Screenshot_20241017-183616.png

I concur, there is no fear that he is a scammer. If you lack the skills to refurb a lathe to make it pretty and add a DRO then it may be worth it to you. As for his choice of collet chuck what was he thinking?

Ye a guy near me did sorta same thing basically but was trying to flip what I assume some a barn find just less cleaning. He listed the lathe sitting on a trailer rusty had that ad up for almost a year I think. then brought it in side and cleaned it a bit and relisted at same price and it's been for sale for over a year now I think.

The price is more reasonable but being 460v and if I was too guess worn out for type of lathe probly won't sell or while.

View attachment 52994

There are a slew of decent second operations lathes for sale at any given time. When I get my country estate if ever I intend to buy a used hardinge chucker lathe

In perfect condition, that chucker lathe is worth less than 2000$ - the work envelope is only 5" diameter, by 6 inches long, if I have the model right. these are special purpose 2nd operation lathes, and aren't well suited to gerneral use.

Perfect for drilling centre holes, and threading the end of a 1/2" bar, however...

Back