• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Induction forges

Upnorth

I am interested in one of these induction heaters. I make drill bushings by the hundred. Heat treating has always been an issue. I used to make them from 0-1 tool steel but now use A-2. My question is how would I know if they are heated to the right temperature? My mini furnace has a temperature gauge on it so it's easy now. The drill bushings vary in mass a lot so just using a timer probably would not work.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
My question is how would I know if they are heated to the right temperature?
I don't think temperature is controlled with an induction forge. They are most often used for melting metal in a crucible that sits in the coil. Frequency can change the induction which would change the temperature, but I don't think it would be very accurate.
I use the heater mostly for efficient wrought iron work, and I might try melting silver and brass.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I would not worry about the water cooling stuff. Why not use a fish tank pump and filter setup to circulate the water? Toss the filter, not needed.
Heat rejection is not a big deal, it is the heat picked up from the iron bar that can melt the copper tube. I have seen stationary engines run for hours with hoses attached to a 45 gallon drum of water, and the water was not hot, just warm.
I wound up with a small chiller unit. Except it doesn't provide enough pressure. Close - if I choke the return the Hester's alarm stops and I can proceed for a while.
I have a bigger unit on its way.