Induction Forges & Chillers

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I have ~15kWh of batteries in my shop, and on a summer day I produce an easy 2-3kW for 5-6 hours.
My power hammer and compressor and belt sander, while I'm working all day, on a cloudy day, drew less than 25% of my capacity.

That leaves me with only one thing to do: Move to an induction forge and save on propane deliveries. It will also be quieter and reduce fire risk, particularly during our dry summers.

Looking around it seems I have two choice: US Solid, or Vevor, at about a 2:1 price difference.

From US Solid, I'm looking at $2360 (on Amazon) for the 15KW 30-80KHz unit plus another $780 for their matched chiller.
[Edit - direct from USSolid, with shipping, $2331CAD total]
From Vevor I see a 15KW unit for $900 delivered and another $240 for a perhaps-matching chiller.

So - is it worth 3x the price for the NA-made brand? Any thoughts? I'm not particularly price-sensitive but also mama didn't raise no dummies.

Paul

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I think usage would be a factor for me. Will the Vevor stand up to your intended use? Looks like you could wear out two Vevor units and still be money ahead.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
How to spend the whole season't VFX budget!

That might be the very machine I'm looking at. I wonder how he feels about a couple of years later.
Ping him on his channel. He's been very responsive to my Q's re his CNC plasma conversion.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Good sales video for induction forge. As to Vevor standing up to the use look at what actually makes the forge or the chiller. What could break. The forge itself seems to have little electronics in it - most of the value seems to be old school transformer.

Which makes me wonder how hard would it be to convert old stick welder into such forge.

USSOLID has some very interesting other devices. As to made in America don't think so, but they seem to select the higher end options.

Gamble lower and win, its money in the bank, lose and its damn should have known better.

Gamble high and win, well its a given, lose and its damn should have gone low and saved the money.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member

1100 USD.

Look identical to Vevor unit from video.... made in China (says HK on US Solid package)

Just b/c it says "US Solid" does not mean made in China. Or even "made in different factory" than Vevor.

Interesting I cannot find the forge on vevor site. But all 15kw forges are see look almost identical. I doubt as to different components - I mean outside looks identical - same enclosure, same buttons etc. So why would internals be any different?

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Let us know how it works. I've wanted to get one of these for work to harden O1 gauge pins. We O/A torch harden everything now, and one of these units could pay for itself in very short order.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I ordered the no-label versions from Aliexpress. All good.
US Solid sent me 5% discount codes yesterday. Today it's 10%. Still far from making up the difference, but I hope they keep going ;-)