Indicating Micrometer

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I don't own one (but I lust for one haha).

I don't quite understand how they operate. From what I've read, you close the anvil on a standard like a gage block or pin, then lock the spindle. That is the zero/target position. Then present to the part. They have a release button which then allows the needle to show +/- deviation at finer resolution (like tenths). So how does the fixed end stay put for the step-1 calibration stage, but but allows float to indicate needle movement? Maybe the plunger unlocks the normally fixed end on a regular mic?

1689388545098.png 1689388565608.png

You calibrate to zero on the anvil end and measurement on the thimble side. Once set the release button moves the anvil. Simple actually.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
They word it differently unless I'm misunderstanding you

Rauce

Ultra Member
I’ve used one before. The old shop had them for measuring a specific part. I did not do calibration on them though.

I was about try a type an explanation but videos are better.

Go to about 11:30 and you’ll see how it works.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks, yes I did eventually see that same video. Some have the plunger release on the opposite side, but what was confusing to me was some have it on the rear side (but no accompanying picture so I couldn't see how they functioned). I think they all share the same operating principle but there are quite a few variants.

1691540221218.png 1691540393715.png
1691540671435.png