• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Indexing head

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Nice indexer! I upgraded in the last year for a similar reason, in my case, rotary table!

Last edited:

John Conroy

Premium Member
It's a beauty. How much does that monster weigh? My 8" super spacer weighs 175 lbs with the chuck and yours looks to be way more that that!

Johnwa

Ultra Member
It’s a 10 1/2 Kempsmith universal dividing head.
It looks pretty big compared to my mill, but the chuck is only 6”. The head and chuck is just shy of 100 lbs, which is good because I don’t need a hoist to move it around. I think I can use it for between centres or with a collet but with the 3 jaw it’s too big for my mill.

Last edited:

Johnwa

Ultra Member
@Johnwa: what happened to your QC gearbox on what looks to be a SM 1120?

I need to replace a couple of gears in it. Le blond had one in stock that was a reasonable price until UPS did their thing. The other gear wasn’t in stock and they quoted $750 to get it made. I’ve got a gear cutter and will cut my own.
In the top left of the pic is an open vfd cabinet. Everything is working but I need to make another trip to Rona before I can say it is done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ahh, that explains it!

Yes, gears for these lathes are not cheap; hence I made a complete set of change gears for my 1340.