Includes some metal working

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
My almost finished guitar amp project. It made noise for the first time today. The metal working component is the fabrication of the chassis. Also includes are some cabinetry, upholstery and good old tube electronics. Still more cabinetry and upholstery to finish.

Attachments

• IMG_20201120_123418.jpg
    IMG_20201120_123418.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20201120_123426.jpg
    IMG_20201120_123426.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20201128_143545.jpg
    IMG_20201128_143545.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20201128_143603.jpg
    IMG_20201128_143603.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210705_180252.jpg
    IMG_20210705_180252.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20210831_003014146.jpg
    PXL_20210831_003014146.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20211221_032133442.jpg
    PXL_20211221_032133442.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20220222_025950459.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220222_025950459.MP.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 22

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
What great project. And tubes to boot....wow. Reminds me of those uber-expensive McIntosh amplifiers with the pretty tubes.

I don't think my ears are (or ever were) discerning enough to tell the difference, but my understanding is that everything sounds "warmer." Nice combination of skills in making this.

If you're looking for a roadie, I work for coffee.

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
My almost finished guitar amp project. It made noise for the first time today. The metal working component is the fabrication of the chassis. Also includes are some cabinetry, upholstery and good old tube electronics. Still more cabinetry and upholstery to finish.
I've never seen that type of circuit/breadboard assembly with the metal passthroughs that look like rivets. What is is called and what are its advantages?

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
I've never seen that type of circuit/breadboard assembly with the metal passthroughs that look like rivets. What is is called and what are its advantages?
It is a type of fiber board with eyelets. Early Fender amps were built that way and boards are available from after market providers. I think it was done for economy. Super cheap and easy to make. I didn't particularly like working with them and wouldn't use them again. There are actually 2 boards. The top one with the eyelets and where the components get attached and a blank one under it to insulate everything from the chassis.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Very cool. One of the things I always wanted to build was an arch top hollow body electric and a tube amp. I don't play much guitar anymore so that project slid WAAAAAY down the list lol. Again, nice job!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
It is a type of fiber board with eyelets. Early Fender amps were built that way and boards are available from after market providers. I think it was done for economy. Super cheap and easy to make. I didn't particularly like working with them and wouldn't use them again. There are actually 2 boards. The top one with the eyelets and where the components get attached and a blank one under it to insulate everything from the chassis.
Nice. Thanks for explaining it to me. I love learning about stuff like this. Looking back I think early military equipment may have used these as well. To your credit you kept it authentic and that's worth points to me. I fondly recall making PCBs with Sharpies (or whatever they were called in the 17th Century when I was young). After that there were the fiberglass breadboards—not the modern prototype ones, but the light brown ones with just holes and no solder points.

And just to go full nostalgic on you, there were those strips (see pic) in the 1970s that were ridiculously hard to build an entire project with, although some people found a way. Inevitably you ended up with spaghetti for wiring—no matter how hard you tried. But the worst tend, IMO, was the era of wire wrap. I went down that path briefly before losing my mind trying to trace tiny 30 AWG wires before giving up and screaming like a madman. Like Disco, the trend thankfully disappeared.

These days I enjoy bending steel mounting plates/racks for all my projects, and either using conformal coating or—more recently— Plasti Dip to protect them from shorts. I really should get into plastic bending, but I like the fact that I can use round and square punches to make pretty nice layouts on sheet metal for mounting PCBs and other components in the case (which is also fun metalworking).

Cheers. I really love your amp.

1646791220055.png

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Nice. Thanks for explaining it to me. I love learning about stuff like this. Looking back I think early military equipment may have used these as well. To your credit you kept it authentic and that's worth points to me. I fondly recall making PCBs with Sharpies (or whatever they were called in the 17th Century when I was young). After that there were the fiberglass breadboards—not the modern prototype ones, but the light brown ones with just holes and no solder points.

And just to go full nostalgic on you, there were those strips (see pic) in the 1970s that were ridiculously hard to build an entire project with, although some people found a way. Inevitably you ended up with spaghetti for wiring—no matter how hard you tried. But the worst tend, IMO, was the era of wire wrap. I went down that path briefly before losing my mind trying to trace tiny 30 AWG wires before giving up and screaming like a madman. Like Disco, the trend thankfully disappeared.

These days I enjoy bending steel mounting plates/racks for all my projects, and either using conformal coating or—more recently— Plasti Dip to protect them from shorts. I really should get into plastic bending, but I like the fact that I can use round and square punches to make pretty nice layouts on sheet metal for mounting PCBs and other components in the case (which is also fun metalworking).

Cheers. I really love your amp.

View attachment 21796
17th century HMMM! That must make me really old. I was part of the last class at Radio College of Canada to be trained primarily on Vacuum tubes. They rewrote all the courses for the next year to be taught based on transistors. What's a chip?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
17th century HMMM! That must make me really old. I was part of the last class at Radio College of Canada to be trained primarily on Vacuum tubes. They rewrote all the courses for the next year to be taught based on transistors. What's a chip?
LOL. We'll chat further on spaghetti night in the old folks home.

Gearhead88

Super User
Cool discussion , I have a bunch of tube amps in my music room downstairs , tubes rule . Yup , I’m a music nut , the gearhead user name is more about guitars n’ amps than tools. I need to take care of a few things , such as , play more , find some people that I can jam with , I’ve had some hand n finger injuries too as well as pain from arthritis. Things that are holding me back , I’m shy , I never really got very good at playing anyways , that and I’m a bit rusty from not playing enough.

081F4D8F-DFB6-441D-A1FB-623A564B9203.jpeg

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I wish my eyes could still read the music, I wish my left fingers could still pinch the frets, I wish my right fingers could still pluck the strings, and I wish my ears could still hear well enough to appreciate what my hands used to do.......

But I'm making great music on my lathe, learning to play the mill, and someday I plan to take up music on a surface grinder too.... Now if I could only learn to make music on a welder.....