Premium Member
Be nice if it wasn’t out in the rain

EFE6C39B-10EB-4A8E-91E4-FE2B5B1F95F3.jpeg

Attachments

• 3BADF3A4-70BC-4657-97AE-AF90E64A5D38.jpeg
    3BADF3A4-70BC-4657-97AE-AF90E64A5D38.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 21

JReimer

Sent him a message - That lathe looks like a great deal. going to have to do some research and maybe a road trip this evening if he answers. Not much of a road trip its only chilliwack to mission.

Anyone know anything about his brand / type of lathe?

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Looks like one of these, or a cousin:

Possibly an Pakistan / India version of a generic lathe

JReimer

yup - that looks exactly like what it is. I am planning to go there to look tonight. Doesn't come with anything but he has machinery to help load it. I don't know anything about the Pakistan / India lathes - are they ok build quality? I assume this isn't going to be anything high precision.

Any advice is appreciated.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Is it metric? imperial? or both.
From what I've heard, no personal experience, a lot depends on the day of the week it was made, the India stuff seems to be hit and miss.
You are hard pressed to buy an Atlas 618 for $1K these days so this could be a good deal.
Just as info it looks like belt drive with back gear and threaded spindle. Is the handle on the cross slide bent or is it just the picture?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I imagine the chip tray is from someone thinking they could lift it by the tray

Hopefully that handle isn't signs of worse damage, because it does look like a solid deal

JReimer

Wasn't able to make it out tonight to see it. From the link from whydontu, it looks like these start for around $900 (PKR 145,000) so it might not be as big of a deal as I originally thought. Although they quickly go up from there so it would be a bit of figuring out what this one is.
Looks like one of these, or a cousin:

Still curious to go out and look at them so hopefully will make a trip this weekend but I am less excited.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Wasn't able to make it out tonight to see it. From the link from whydontu, it looks like these start for around $900 (PKR 145,000) so it might not be as big of a deal as I originally thought. Although they quickly go up from there so it would be a bit of figuring out what this one is.

Still curious to go out and look at them so hopefully will make a trip this weekend but I am less excited.

I don't think you should even consider the values listed on that website, it doesn't take your location or local market into account, that lathe may be worth 900$ in Pakistan if you pick it up right from the factory, but we are not in Pakistan, and 900$ is worth a lot more there than it is here

I would take a look at if I were you, 1000$ in western Canada is a good deal for a lathe that size assuming it's not destroyed

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
The $900 is for their mini lathe, which this one clearly is not. It seems the price range for this type of lathe is 670,000 to 1 million PkR, and that is likely comparable in price to a similar un-landed Chinese lathe. (base price without shipping, duties, import fees etc.) It is probably worth a quick look if you are nearby.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Don't worry too much about rust. One member here bought a Colchester that was in a back lot for 2 years before he got it. Some minor scoring on the ways, but fully recoverable.

That just looks to me like an offer including the phrase "I saw your lathe listed for $1000, would you take $950?"

I have a low opinion of guys that post stuff for sale, fishing for a price to post it at after the fact!
Look at the photos on the second post. New???? Refurbished maybe, hobbled together most likely. As there is damage and wear in odd spots.

I'd say run away no matter the deal, too many funny issues.