• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Im think about this Lather on Kijiji...

Brent H

Ultra Member

Richard Tymko

Ask about change gears for threading and anything else it may or may not come with.

Here is a couple just up in Ontario - a bit more money but appear to have a few more items that you may require - something to compare anyway...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/hamilton/myford-ml7-metal-lathe/1476514021?undefined

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tool-other/...ord-factory-base-cabinet/1470993744?undefined

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/...-metal-lathe-accessories/1472546699?undefined
Great, Thanks for the reply!

Brent H

Ultra Member
One of the things I have found in all my searching around is that some of the older lathes are:

1. Well taken care of and have all their parts and gears etc (typically more money)
2. Stored in one location for a long time and the parts stayed with them (people cleaning out space and price is reasonable or cheap as they don't know much about it)
3. The worst one it that they were stored and some one threw out the boxes with the gearing, tools etc or sold them (Could be cheap but will cost you to track down parts or the people want same value as if the parts were still there)
4. Lathe has been abused or used to its max and things are lost or broken (may or may not be a deal depending)

The lathe you are looking at will need gears to cut threads of different pitches, not sure how feeds work on a Myford?

There is a few Kijiji adds offering some parts on the Ontario site - collet fixtures, face plates etc, The middle add I sent you even has a full base for the lathe and the third one appears to come ready with lots of extra's.

May be your seller has the stuff and just didn't post it?

Richard Tymko

One of the things I have found in all my searching around is that some of the older lathes are:

1. Well taken care of and have all their parts and gears etc (typically more money)
2. Stored in one location for a long time and the parts stayed with them (people cleaning out space and price is reasonable or cheap as they don't know much about it)
3. The worst one it that they were stored and some one threw out the boxes with the gearing, tools etc or sold them (Could be cheap but will cost you to track down parts or the people want same value as if the parts were still there)
4. Lathe has been abused or used to its max and things are lost or broken (may or may not be a deal depending)

The lathe you are looking at will need gears to cut threads of different pitches, not sure how feeds work on a Myford?

There is a few Kijiji adds offering some parts on the Ontario site - collet fixtures, face plates etc, The middle add I sent you even has a full base for the lathe and the third one appears to come ready with lots of extra's.

May be your seller has the stuff and just didn't post it?

I have sent him an email asking him what it comes with. It looks a little beat up, but since I was considering buy a new 7x16 from LMS this might not be to bad because what I save buying this, I could use to stock the accessories that I would need?

He is very slow in responding to his emails.

Richard

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey Richard,

That is true about buying the stuff you might need - the tooling etc is typically a big amount with any "new to you" lathe - I have purchased new chucks, tooling and stock to fix parts that were broken etc.

With the ML7 in the add you presented it did not show some of the stuff that will be important - like the gears for threading - those could cost you a lot if they are not with the lathe. It seems there are a few of the ML7's around so perhaps parts are not as hard to come by.

Hopefully you get a positive answer and there is some additional items not shown in the pictures :)

It shows as not being available ??

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I might be wrong but I think thread cutting is entirely done by selecting screw cutting vs power feed, pitch according to lower knobs positions & engaging the threading clamshell lever. It has a separate power feed rod from the threading rod. So I'm thinking if the lathe runs & turns the chuck it must be able to thread? But it may or may not come with metric screw cutting gears, something to ask about. 3 chucks + DRO + quick change tool post... there is a little bit of accessory money in there. But of course all subject to condition. You would have to delve into the lathe name, possibly from Taiwan or could be China. Probably the same challenges of getting parts but I cant say for sure.

For new price data point reference, a brand new 14x40 C0636A I think is about $7500 with DRO, 2 chucks, steel stand, coolant pump?, wedge toolpost, brake, metric gears etc.

Attachments

• SNAG-1-17-2020 0001.jpg
    SNAG-1-17-2020 0001.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020-01-17_18-18-07.jpg
    2020-01-17_18-18-07.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-1-17-2020 0002.jpg
    SNAG-1-17-2020 0002.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 0

Richard Tymko

Doh!
I just got a response from him this morning saying it is available. Boy sometimes Kijiji Drives me crazy. Oh well I guess it was not meant to be.

Thanks everyone.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Doh!
I just got a response from him this morning saying it is available. Boy sometimes Kijiji Drives me crazy. Oh well I guess it was not meant to be.

Thanks everyone.

Ya, used on-line stuff is like that. When you see it, you have to make a decision on the spot, make an offer or not.

If you miss it.... oh well.... others will surface, just a matter of time.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Sucks when the seller doesn’t give enough info. Maybe the gears were missing - if so, I think you dodged a bad purchase. Those Myfords without a quick change gear box need a set of change gears for. Feed and threading. Looks like a complete gear set will give you metric and imperial. Read the manual- LOL

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I happen to have a nearly complete set of myford (or we think they're myford) change gears, in moderate shape. - they seem to be available, on various forums. Change gears can be successfully 3D printed as well.

Brent H

Ultra Member
I would think there was a decimal place missing. 27 grand original price! The new name for that lathe is a My-una- Ford :D

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Even in England they aren't cheap,,,, they aren't even inexpensive. You would really need to be in love with a machine to pay that much, shipping was probably a big chunk of the cost but it still seems like a lot for what seems like so little. A neighbor was going to order one a few years ago and IIRC he said it was around $24K, he now three atlas lathe of different sizes.

Brent H

Ultra Member
I will show that add to my wife next time I want to buy a big machine....LOL "Look Honey, $24K or I can go and get this one for 7...." LOL

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
That's how I got the Kubota, "we" were using shovels and wheelbarrows and she said" why don't we have a tractor to do this". Wahoo, papa's going shoppin. So you need to get her into machining.