I Was Walking By The Pawn Shop The Other Day...........

Tecnico

(Dave)
And what did I spy with my little eye but a 12" Mitutoyo inside micrometer set (141-133) that looks like this:

Mit.JPG

I've been wanting something a little more than my digital calipers so this should do the trick even if it is analog. It covers up to 12" dia. and by comparison to my 2" mic and calipers appears to be dead on in cal or as much as can be said in comparison to instruments not in cal!

They also had a 0 - 12" depth set like @pkitson offered up a while back. Don't know the asking, but it and the pawnshop are gone now. I couldn't think what I'd use it for so I passed.

D :cool:

Rauce

Ultra Member
When I worked at a place that was serious about calibration the procedure was to use it an inside mic like a telescoping gauge. Set the inside mic to the size of the bore but instead of reading directly off of it, one would use a calibrated outside mic to take the measurement off the inside mic. Reason being an outside mic is much easier to calibrate properly off a standard or with gage blocks.

Tom O

Ultra Member
12” is a nice size I found the larger one in the pawnshop they were asking too much for a couple years so I made a offer telling them how long it’s been here and it would make room for other things that would sell so I got it for $150.

Tecnico

(Dave)
When I worked at a place that was serious about calibration the procedure was to use it an inside mic like a telescoping gauge. Set the inside mic to the size of the bore but instead of reading directly off of it, one would use a calibrated outside mic to take the measurement off the inside mic. Reason being an outside mic is much easier to calibrate properly off a standard or with gage blocks.
Funny you would mention that, I was thinking that if I really needed to measure something with an outside caliper (not a diameter) I would fixture something on the ends of the part like angle plates and used the inside mic to take the measurement. That, since I don't have anything other than a ruler to measure more than I can with a 6" caliper except my mill DRO. The extender rods are all set with Torque Seal so I would go on the assumption that they are in cal from the last cal cycle......from, like years ago. LOL!

I keep coming back to this but: "You can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes you can get what you need" :D

Oh, As I was surfing around today I saw a Mit jig for doing cal on the rods!

D :cool:

Tom O

Ultra Member
When I was working in the press room at the Calgary Herald to tram all the rollers they used 3/8” pipe and fittings holding an inside mike on the one end and a 3 way fitting for centering the tool on the other.

Ironman

Ultra Member
When I was in high school shop I walked past a second hand shop and spotted a like new Starret.
I went in and said 'How much do you want for that little C clamp?' He said That's a watchmakers clamp...$7 dollars. I snapped it up and use it to this day.
I brought it to school as we had one mike for a 25 person class. The shop "teacher" accused me of theft and called the principal, who asked him where he kept him mike...right in this drawer he said, pulling the drawer open. There was his micrometer, looking as good as mine. So the principal told him he should apologize.
He did and then kicked me out of the class for the rest of the year.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That's a watchmakers clamp...$7 dollars.

:p:D:p

That's a very cool story!

I can forgive a fellow working at a pawn shop. But I had a smart ass young technician try to tell me that micrometers were calibrated clamps that are used to dial in the pressure you want on the clamp. Might be your pawn shop guy's younger brother....

He already despised engineers let alone the older ones, so I figured the best thing was to just smile, walk away, and let one of the machinists straighten him out.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Would probably get a better weld if you hooked the ground wire directly to the upper end of the C-clamp. Shorter route for the current to flow.
I find tack welding the C clamp to the work improves current flow - It might work here also! :eek:

Last edited:

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Would probably get a better weld if you hooked the ground wire directly to the upper end of the C-clamp. Shorter route for the current to flow.
You just gave me an idea for an old useless mic I have. I have interchangeable ground cables on all my welders, so I can swap them for whatever is the most usefull for the job I'm doing. I'm going to make one using the mic, so that I have one for some "precision" tig welding :D. Should be good for a laugh or two lol.