I Need An Inch Pound Torque Wrench

terry_g

Ultra Member
I do a lot of motorcycle tinkering and I need a inch pound torque wrench.
I searched Amazon and all the offerings are questionable to say the least.
I have a Snap-On 0 to 150 in-lb dial; type torque wrench but I would like
to get a click type torque wrench. Does anyone have a decent quality one
that doesn't break the bank?

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Look for a used snap on inch pound one. They usually go cheap and can be had in 1/4” or 3/8” drive. I prefer the 3/8” drive myself

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
For screws and small fasteners, I use a wiha torque driver. It looks like a screw driver and can be set to the desired torque. They are not cheap but worth the investment as screws are easy to get wrong. For small nuts and whatnot, I use a small "click" 1/4" drive wrench. Tekton makes one that won't break the bank that you can get on amazon. For bigger fasteners I agree with @Chicken lights.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
So do I. But I still get mail and can buy used on Kijiji, marketplace, and ebay shipped to me.

You can get the Tekton in higher torque too. They work fine just not as accurate as the Snap On.

Regardless of that, fastener experts will all tell you the torque is only a proxy for correct tension. Any decent torque wrench will get you closer than your guts will ever get you.

What torque range are you looking for?

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a snap on 1/4 drive click type. If i remember correctly, its good to about 200ish inch lbs, maybe a bit higher? Its in my box at work. That said, I actually prefer dial type, for inch lb stuff especially. I have 1/4 3/8 and 1/2" Snap On dial type, but mostly use the 1/4. I rarely use the clicker, and i should probably check on monday to make sure somebody didn't borrow it.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As far as breaking the bank, Snap On prices are insane lately. I bought a lot on Ebay. Bought an equal amount from my dealer. Torque wrenches, especially the 1/4 drive stuff, are about trust. A fastener requiring 35 in/lb is not going to like 45. So buy something decent. If you mostly deal with torque to yield, that's a whole different ballgame. You CAN get away with a cheaper, less accurate torque wrench.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Have a look at Park tools.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I’ve bought the princess auto 1/4 one a while back (the cheap one), once calibrated and adjusted it is “ok” for the money but has given false positive (no click) once or twice. For Low inch lb torque I prefer to be by feel..... no wrench

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I’ve bought the princess auto 1/4 one a while back (the cheap one), once calibrated and adjusted it is “ok” for the money but has given false positive (no click) once or twice. For Low inch lb torque I prefer to be by feel..... no wrench

I always believed my "feel" was pretty good. Then I got a wiha torque driver. I bet you a coffee that you will be shocked at how much your feel is off......

I now have 2 Wiha torque drivers. A 5-10 in lb (model HH0505S) for tiny screws, and a 10-50 in lb (model HG0100S) for medium screws. I LOVE them. Bigger than that I use mostly click wrenches that I don't hesitate to calibrate if think they are off. I think the biggest mistake people make with click wrenches is forgetting to relieve the tension for storage. Even the cheap ones work quite well if they are properly stored.

For the really big stuff, I like the strain gauge electronic units. The work like an extension bar. I have a 1" drive unit for up to 1000 ft lbs (yes farm stuff goes that high) and a 3/4" drive unit for up to 500 ft-lbs. Their advantage is being able to use them with cheater pipes on big Johnson bars. They beep faster as you approach set torque and solid tone when reached.

IIt's very difficult to calibrate a wrench in use. Way easier to do it before hand and to get a feel for how reliable they are. The German Wihas are amazing devices.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I’ll have to look into the wiha. It helps if you can trust your tools. I’ve seen so many people snap the heads off smaller bolts because of garbage tools and inexperience. I’ve some close as I mentioned with the PA inch lb unit

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I like Wiha too. Search around because prices & models vary. If you happen to be looking for something more mainstream then usually the tool suppliers or even Amazon can fulfill.
I was after some specific cutters & ordered from Wiha Tools Canada. They were pleasant to deal with, but the order took forever which was kind of a bummer. He basically said they are a re-distributer & 'special' items they had to bring in. That's fine, nobody has full shelves, but I would have thought weeks not months. That is after all their product line. I could have clicked Buy via AmazonPrime dot com no problemo. Maybe it was early pandemic days, I've lost track. Anyways recommend an ETA inquiry if you have a project waiting on the tools.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wera has nice stuff too, I'm sure there is a model that will fit the requirement. Not sure who a good distributer would be if its more obscure catalog item. What I've purchased thus far has been mainstream but the tools are nice quality, I can tell you that.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
JET makes this pretty nice one that's 40 - 250 in-lbs. It's click type in the handle. Model JTW-1425. A great wrench for me.

1642366317347.png

$148 @ BC Tools: https://bcfasteners.com/shop/jet-718902-jtw-1425-1-4-drive-250-in-lbs-torque-wrenchrench/ or $133 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/Jet-718902-1-250-Torque-Wrench/dp/B0787HH33X

Last edited:

terry_g

Ultra Member
I see that the Jet torque wrench is back-ordered an several websites.
I went to the local Canadian tire and they had a 1/4" drive 30 to 200 inch
pound torque wrench that looked decently made. The graduations are
rolled in not etched. and it clicks nice and cleanly. I went home and got
my trusty Snap-On dial type inch pound torque wrench and a 1/4" square
socket. I have tested the Snap-On torque wrench in the snap-On truck on
his torque wrench tester and its very accurate.

I opened the box and tested the Canadian Tire torque wrench at 30 70 100 120
and 150 inch pounds against the Snap-On torque wrench and I was pleasantly
surprised at how accurate it was. I promptly bought and brought it home with me.

IMG_2402.JPG