I need a tap.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
The nut for the vise on my Busy Bee band saw is stripped. I'm emailing with BB to try and get a replacement. So far not that successfully. It's a lousy design so I'm thinking of making one. To do that I need a tap. I know it's a remote chance BUT! Does anyone in Southern Alberta have a #6 Left Hand Acme Tap that could help me out?
THANKS

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I have a 1/2-10 LH ACME tap. What the heck would a #6 acme LH screw be used for on a bandsaw?

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
I have a 1/2-10 LH ACME tap. What the heck would a #6 acme LH screw be used for on a bandsaw?
Guess I should have been a bit more specific. It's a 3/4-6. It's a horizontal saw and the screw is for clamping the vise. The original nut is cast iron and is only threaded 1/2 the diameter and is held in place by a ball and spring. When closing the vice it engages the screw to the threads in the nut. When the tension on the vise is released the threads move away from the screw and the rear jaw can be slid back and forth without turning the screw. Once it wears the thing slips when tightening the vise. I'd like to replace it with a solid nut that's threaded full circle. It would eliminate the free sliding feature but the *$#& thing wouldn't slip. PXL_20220430_020925896.MP.jpg

Couple of suggestions......

1. Call BB in Concord ON, and ask for their service dept. Have your model number ready. Going through stores seems to be a waste of time. BTW this is their official head office and their staff on the service side are pretty good to find a solution or parts. Floor staff eh.....

2. Look up the similar looking Bandsaw on King or Grizzly, download the manuals and get the parts from them. Likely they are the same. Want to be sure get the threaded rod at the same time.

3. Turn the thread on a lathe.

4. Ditch the acme thread, use a threaded rod and nut and go at it.

Last comment, these castings usually break because of overtightening or abuse (they are cast). I broken a regular vise that way. Slip vises fail because of improper engagement during use.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Couple of suggestions......

1. Call BB in Concord ON, and ask for their service dept. Have your model number ready. Going through stores seems to be a waste of time. BTW this is their official head office and their staff on the service side are pretty good to find a solution or parts. Floor staff eh.....

2. Look up the similar looking Bandsaw on King or Grizzly, download the manuals and get the parts from them. Likely they are the same. Want to be sure get the threaded rod at the same time.

3. Turn the thread on a lathe.

4. Ditch the acme thread, use a threaded rod and nut and go at it.

Last comment, these castings usually break because of overtightening or abuse (they are cast). I broken a regular vise that way. Slip vises fail because of improper engagement during use.
It's the head office service center I've been emailing with. As yet no answer. I'll probably call on Monday.
The current model being sold by BB uses a similar setup and there is a replacement part. I just don't know if it fits my saw.
I would like to make a new nut and abandon the slip function completely. But even with a skinny 3/8 inch boring bar plus the required depth of thread there would be precious little clearance in the drilled hole.
There is an NOS 2 stage US made tap on ebay. I may just bite the bullet. There are also some made in C single step ones but!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
If the 3/4 - 6 is actually 3/4 diameter then I believe I have both LH and RH.

For what the tap costs new you can get whole used saw. For a ready made sleeve, at 35 USD plus tax plus shipping plus fees you can get half a used saw.