I know what I want for Christmas!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I mean besides world peace, an end to hunger, healing, good health and all those other noble wants....

I saw this on Bangood tonight

https://m.banggood.com/Full-Metal-C...lid=141446&sc_lid=132081567&sc_uid=LZS4RukLuu

It's a hit and miss model engine! I know there's a few folks here (ahem Peter and others) that could whip something up in their sleep that would put this Asian mass produced thing to shame, but I think it's pretty cool!
I would shortly disassemble it to see if I could make it better and then dream big of being able to someday maybe make something similar in my own humble shop!
I imagine with out a mill I probably couldn't ever make such a thing but I can dream of sugar plums and engines dancing in my head!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Little Machine Shop offer model engine kits that you finish yourself. Plans as well. I've been tempted a few times myself.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I took a different approach. I bought a couple of old polaris snowmobiles for next to nothing, threw in some parts and rebuilt the motors.

In October bought a 1954 Ford NAA tractor....... $750. Working on that now. Same principles, bigger scale I guess. I've been trolling the model engine forums for some time though..... very interested too.

I like simple, old machines that are simple and easy to work on.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
"I like simple, old machines that are simple and easy to work on"

Yes I bought a ford 4500 Front End Loader and quite liked working on it because it is simple and basic yet really well made. I had to turn down a washer from it for some reason or another and even the washer material was far superior to the washers of today (not that probably would matter much) I made several different pins for the steering on the tractor. Parts from Ford were either astronomically priced or unavailable.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I own an old Mobility Big Dipper. Slightly modified with a jib out front, on a skid steer quick attach plate. I needed a pin made or at least fixed for the loader arm. My buddy owed me some favours so he made me one. Made out of O2 tool steel (if i remember right), CNC cut the washer for the head of it, TIG welded the washer on, then flap ground it until the welds were invisible. It’s a work of art, for a 60 year old machine. I thanked him profusely, obviously.