I have a new machine to build and scrounge parts for....

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member

I love the looks and function of this drop hammer. I don't think my neighbors would, but I WANT one.

Not all that complicated to build something that would function the same/similar. Tough part would be scrounging the few thousand pounds of steel for the base :D. Any Ideas? Heavy ship anchor or similar?

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Awesome machine. A hydraulic lift cylinder similar to a post pounder would eliminate the need for all the belts and pullies, not near as fun to watch though.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There are a few available, I love watching the guys from india with the big ones 4-5 guys holding and turning it making a crankhaft out of it in such extreme condiitons and no steels toes, so safety equipment.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
There are a few available, I love watching the guys from india with the big ones 4-5 guys holding and turning it making a crankhaft out of it in such extreme condiitons and no steels toes, so safety equipment.

I saw that little 33lb anyang in porthope when the ad was 5 minutes old. Tempting, it's only about 20 minutes away. Good price, and I'm surprised it's still available. But just not in the cards right now. Kinda too small for the type of work I'm chasing anyway. I tried to buy his tongs, but I missed it by about 5 minutes he said. I will eventually get a power hammer of some sort, either a self contained one like an anyang or saymak, or build a tire hammer, but I'm going to try and let this hobby pay for itself. I gotta make and sell some stuff first......The well is dry right now.....

That treadle hammer is nice too. I'd actually build a treadle hammer first before a tire hammer, as some of the little jewelry things are all punch work, and a treadle hammer is great for that.

A big drop hammer like this is way better for closed die forging which is what I'm eventually aiming for with a couple products I want to make (pattern welded putters, and wedges). Time to start keeping my eye open for huge cast steel bottom anvil shaped "things" :D The rest of it can easily be fabricobbled. I wonder if I can call in a favour with some friends down as esco.....The big parts I might have to sneak out in my buddies mobeel home......;)

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Awesome machine. A hydraulic lift cylinder similar to a post pounder would eliminate the need for all the belts and pullies, not near as fun to watch though.
a scrutiny of farm auctions in the spring would prob unearth a usable specimen that could be altered to suit at pennies to the dollar over a new machine.....but keep your hand out from under the hammer, the first boss I had right out of school dint broke every bone in his hand it was basicaly a club after that.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
My first metal mover will be a hydraulic press though. I've already scrounged all the parts over the past couple years. I just need to finish a couple other projects before starting.

That's typically how I come to build things. Gather parts and material for cheap/free for a few years until I have enough stuff to build something, or part of the assembly, then put it all together until I hit the next road block and move on to the next project until I find the needed parts/material for cheap or free again. With a never ending supply of projects to work on, it's a process that works well for me, but little overwhelming and demoralizing when you look around at all the half finished stuff all over sometimes. Every once in a while something gets finished though :D.

It's a good way to get stuff done on the cheap. It's just trading money for time though. I'm banking on living forever. :D I have very little hard cash laid out for most of the stuff around here as I usually "invest" a little at a time :D. From the outside it looks like I'm all over the map, but it works for me. Sometimes....

conspiracy-theory.gif

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I saw that little 33lb anyang in porthope when the ad was 5 minutes old. Tempting, it's only about 20 minutes away. Good price, and I'm surprised it's still available. But just not in the cards right now. Kinda too small for the type of work I'm chasing anyway. I tried to buy his tongs, but I missed it by about 5 minutes he said. I will eventually get a power hammer of some sort, either a self contained one like an anyang or saymak, or build a tire hammer, but I'm going to try and let this hobby pay for itself. I gotta make and sell some stuff first......The well is dry right now.....

That treadle hammer is nice too. I'd actually build a treadle hammer first before a tire hammer, as some of the little jewelry things are all punch work, and a treadle hammer is great for that.

A big drop hammer like this is way better for closed die forging which is what I'm eventually aiming for with a couple products I want to make (pattern welded putters, and wedges). Time to start keeping my eye open for huge cast steel bottom anvil shaped "things" :D The rest of it can easily be fabricobbled. I wonder if I can call in a favour with some friends down as esco.....The big parts I might have to sneak out in my buddies mobeel home......;)
Yeah, I have the 33lbs anyang, and it's great for small stuff, and though it will work 2" sections it's much happier at less than one inch. Which is still incredibly good for most of my work, but I sure could use a bit more capacity.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Yeah, I have the 33lbs anyang, and it's great for small stuff, and though it will work 2" sections it's much happier at less than one inch. Which is still incredibly good for most of my work, but I sure could use a bit more capacity.
That's the impression I got when I did a bunch of research after seeing that ad. It would probably be great for a bunch of designs of divot tools and other small things I want to make, but realistically as a rank beginner I'm better off to hand forge them and get some good practice along the way. I also don't have 3k to toss towards a tool I'd use so infrequently right now lol. Blacksmithing is a bootstrap hobby for me. Either build what I need when I need it, or buy it with money generated from selling stuff.

I think I'd be much better off building a tire hammer like Gary Hustons version of Clay Spencer's design with moveable head. Size and power requirements are important metrics for me and my available space.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
He plays the same character with the same lines in all Sandler movies lol. Sandler casts all his buddies so they keep their health insurance and standing in the actors guild/union whatever org they have.

hat's typically how I come to build things. Gather parts and material for cheap/free for a few years until I have enough stuff to build something, or part of the assembly, then put it all together until I hit the next road block and move on to the next project until I find the needed parts/material for cheap or free again. With a never ending supply of projects to work on, it's a process that works well for me, but little overwhelming and demoralizing when you look around at all the half finished stuff all over sometimes. Every once in a while something gets finished though :D.
Holy crap...... I think I just found my missing twin from a different mother...... I need to show my wife this so that she understands that it's perfectly normal behavior.....:p