I Got to Use "The Beast" Today :)

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Haven't had this tool out for a while. It is, IMHO, the best pipe and tubing notcher on the market. I've had several notchers over the years, but this one from JD Squared is called "The Beast" and lives up to its name every time you lift it. With the base I added it must be 60 lbs. at least. When I got it ten years ago it was the only notcher on the market that could do offset and angled fish mouths. It's just so darn heavy so you get great cuts on it with even the cheapest holesaws. This thing doesn't budge and has really nice needle bearings in it. It has a capacity of 3" OD and can handle square or round tube.

But it's stupid expensive. I think the 500 $US price tag may have even gone down it you can believe it. I justified it because I was helping a friend build a chromoly cage for an off road vehicle and the quote for the cage was outrageous. We did a few fish mouths with a cheaper jig, but wasn't happy with the results, and it couldn't do angled offsets. After crunching the numbers The Beast turned out to be a deal, and I got to keep it for doing all the work :)

I had forgotten how much I love this thing....

Attachments

• beast1.jpg
    beast1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 0
  • beast2.jpg
    beast2.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 0
  • beast3.jpg
    beast3.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 0
  • beast4.jpg
    beast4.jpg