• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

I didn't know I needed it. Still not sure :P 6x48 / 12" belt disc sander

Aarknoid

This wilton belt / disc sander followed me home a month or two a go. The posting was a good price and it was only 20 min old, so it met all the requirements. What sealed the deal was the chance my grandfather and uncle may have used it as they both used to work at the old Rockwell international plant in Milton (now Meritor).

20230215_191457.jpg
20230215_191444.jpg
example :

4504bd1b-e586-401d-814f-b6e196be8350_fullsize.jpg

It needs its table(s), but the rest of it is there for the most part. Seems everyone had a version of this exact belt / disc sander, and King still sells it.

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
I have a 6x48 + disc. Not as industrial as yours- just the cheap home owner version. I use mine a lot, for both wood and metal. Which reminds me that I need a new sanding belt for mine. Canadian tire used to sell them but no longer, but lots of places still do.

The rockwell/delta tables are expensive on ebay, otherwise 'unobtanium' unfortunately. Like tailstocks and steady rests they just seem to disappear.

Downwindtracker2

I once worked in a machine shop, it was surprising how often we used a Delta belt/disc sander to "machine" things. I have a much cheaper BusyBee version which I use a fair bit.

I just rebuilt 3 of them i bought at auction last year. They were complete for the most part thankfully but needed some shafts made and the platens flattened on a mill. I kept one and sold the other two - I covered my costs and had some beer money left over.

Aarknoid

The rockwell/delta tables are expensive on ebay, otherwise 'unobtanium' unfortunately. Like tailstocks and steady rests they just seem to disappear.
I had to buy the pivot points that attach to the disc table, I will most likely machine some aluminum plate to match the original tables, Either need to find the measurements or just make 'em up as I see fit.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have a shop built, and a Busy Bee 6X48 belt standers. Cannot do work in the shop without them.