• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Hydraulic cylinder rod

Dad's old garden tractor loader had a pretty serious oil leak on the one bucket cylinder, the old rod was badly pitted and no new seal was going to stop the flow, so I made a new one. Should be going to visit tomorrow and try putting it back together.
I wanted to machine it in a collet, and since it didn't fit in the 10" South Bend, I chucked the chuck up in the 4 jaw on the 13" and had at it.
20230125_172024.jpg 20230126_092142.jpg 20230128_205805.jpg

I think it turned out ok.....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Did you know you can buy pre-cut and polished rod?

I know it's fun to make your own, and perhaps even a source of pride to do it well like you did.

But I just go to my local farm hydraulics supplier and buy it in the length I need. I especially like the black nitride for its corrosion resistance.

Did you know you can buy pre-cut and polished rod?

I know it's fun to make your own, and perhaps even a source of pride to do it well like you did.

But I just go to my local farm hydraulics supplier and buy it in the length I need. I especially like the black nitride for its corrosion resistance.
That is basically what this was.... Prechromed and I ordered the length I wanted.... 2 1/2 times what I needed, that way I could bugger something up several times before I had to scrap the part. Then it was just a case of machining the features to match the old one.
Here, not much is local, so it's important to keep in good standing with the local machine shop and businesses with quality scrap piles. I usually like to bring odd bits of tooling and such that I have picked up that I have no need for but is more suited to them. That way, when I need something, they kinda owe me one.....:p

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Holy smokes! I've never seen a cylinder rod pitted like that. Chrome stripped, yeah. Eaten steel? Never.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Holy smokes! I've never seen a cylinder rod pitted like that. Chrome stripped, yeah. Eaten steel? Never.

You should visit a few farm machinery yards. Not unusual at all. Sitting outside in the weather with no grease on the rod will do it over the course of 30 years.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That is basically what this was.... Prechromed and I ordered the length I wanted.... 2 1/2 times what I needed, that way I could bugger something up several times before I had to scrap the part. Then it was just a case of machining the features to match the old one.
Here, not much is local, so it's important to keep in good standing with the local machine shop and businesses with quality scrap piles. I usually like to bring odd bits of tooling and such that I have picked up that I have no need for but is more suited to them. That way, when I need something, they kinda owe me one.....:p

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you cut the rod OD itself.

All good!

Ya, nurture your relationships.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
You should visit a few farm machinery yards. Not unusual at all. Sitting outside in the weather with no grease on the rod will do it over the course of 30 years.
You mean like junk yards? I s'pose. Mebbe more so besides the dry prairies, too.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You mean like junk yards? I s'pose. Mebbe more so besides the dry prairies, too.

Not really, I meant machinery yards on farms. Many farms in the east have them. Some in the west too. But the Eastern humidity turns everything into heaps of rust.

This tractor lives about a mile from the ocean on the "wet" coast, so it has lived a less than charmed life and was by no means new when Dad got it.
Anything unused for any period of time on the coast is quickly consumed by vegetation and humidity. One is less likely to spray a little oil on an exposed cylinder when it's 3 feet inside the black berry bushes and stinging nettles.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
This tractor lives about a mile from the ocean on the "wet" coast, so it has lived a less than charmed life and was by no means new when Dad got it.
Anything unused for any period of time on the coast is quickly consumed by vegetation and humidity. One is less likely to spray a little oil on an exposed cylinder when it's 3 feet inside the black berry bushes and stinging nettles.
Y’all have stinging nettles out there? When I was younger we cut a bush that was filled with them, they sucked pretty fast

Hawthorn was another early favourite to contend with

Y’all have stinging nettles out there? When I was younger we cut a bush that was filled with them, they sucked pretty fast

Hawthorn was another early favourite to contend with
Yup, toss in some burdock, a little devils club, and a dash of poison ivy, mixed with the insatiable need to throw rocks into any wasps nest encountered (I still haven't outgrown this oddity) and one tends to keep the calimine and tweezers handy....:p