HSS lathe tools

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I want to purchase some different hss blanks to make my own, I have some from china and they are ok but I also have one from Czech or Poland one I really like it so I would like to get some similar to that. I see different levels of cobalt from 5% to 18% but I am not sure what would be the best for me just cutting most everything I cut. I found a guy on ebay that is local to me and will allow pick up and that has a big variety of old stock from poland uk etc but he also has some "Newmans" which I never heard of but were said to be made in Canada. This is the link he is perth ont. https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_ssn...siontools&_oac=1&LH_BIN=1&_sop=3&_pgn=9&rt=nc
Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hi cobalt keeps an edge longer, but I wouldn't fuss much over the percentage. Any cobalt is better than none. It's really mostly how much you want to pay.

When I grab a piece of hss to make a tool with, I just grab according to how long I want the tool to last before needing to be sharpened. For most jobs I prolly won't use the blank again with that particular grind so cheap is fine - and I regrind as needed.

It's nice to have some really high quality blanks laying around in different sizes though. Those are the ones that typically get reused regularly. Eg a shear tool or a chamfer tool, or an edge form tool. To keep the costs down, I often use small blanks and shim them in my 5/8 tool holders.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Dynavan T15 is good stuff. I needed to make a chamfering tool to end prep 14” ductile iron pipe using a Landis pipe lathe. If you’ve never seen a Landis, check out https://surplusrecord.com/listing/8...e-threading-cut-off-machine-20-hp-1932-31606/

25 hp, geared down to 8.5 rpm, 20” bore through the chuck.

Anyway, 2” square tool holder with groove machined for 3/4” square Dynavan tool bit.

Fired it up, fed in the bit. 2” holder snapped in half. Dynavan bit survived just fine.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Here’s another Landis with better pictures.

@whydontu how do these machines thread pipe - is there a carriage, thread dial, lead screw like a more conventional lathe? Multiple passes to cut a thread?

Nope, brute force & ignorance. Has a massive die head, uses pipe thread chasers like a Ridgid 300, just a zillion times bigger.

Threader head has an auto-release clutch that pops the die head open once the thread is cut. This video is an 8”, the 20” puts out about 15,000 ft-lbs of torque.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I want to purchase some different hss blanks to make my own, I have some from china and they are ok but I also have one from Czech or Poland one I really like it so I would like to get some similar to that. I see different levels of cobalt from 5% to 18% but I am not sure what would be the best for me just cutting most everything I cut. I found a guy on ebay that is local to me and will allow pick up and that has a big variety of old stock from poland uk etc but he also has some "Newmans" which I never heard of but were said to be made in Canada. This is the link he is perth ont. https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_ssn...siontools&_oac=1&LH_BIN=1&_sop=3&_pgn=9&rt=nc
Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Wow, that guy is EXPENSIVE!

You can get old HSS blanks from US cheap. However, many will be pre cut for you & not "new".

I got most of my tooling from above guy. He combines shipping. Careful as you can easily spend 1000s. He will have lots of HSS blanks & anything else you need.

His last policy for combined shipping was stuff purchased in one week - starting from Monday till Sunday. Ask him for exceptions.

Now I wish I did not go there as I want to buy stuff ;(

Rauce

Ultra Member
It’s a store, so if you are close by, you can go there and buy stuff. No need for eBay.

Be careful because they have way more stuff than what is listed on eBay or on their website. You may leave penniless.

Attachments

• F21570FC-E20D-425A-8D75-D101101814EF.jpeg
    F21570FC-E20D-425A-8D75-D101101814EF.jpeg
    526.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 615CE162-1281-47C0-A978-44F75B622FB1.jpeg
    615CE162-1281-47C0-A978-44F75B622FB1.jpeg
    520.8 KB · Views: 15
  • D226026D-7C0E-4085-A28F-5531A6B0AD2A.jpeg
    D226026D-7C0E-4085-A28F-5531A6B0AD2A.jpeg
    545 KB · Views: 15

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It’s a store, so if you are close by, you can go there and buy stuff. No need for eBay.

Be careful because they have way more stuff than what is listed on eBay or on their website. You may leave penniless.

I always forget about that place I have to get out there. Now I wonder if its the same guy hard to believe there would be 2 people from perth selling tons of lathe and mill stuff.

Rauce

Ultra Member
I always forget about that place I have to get out there. Now I wonder if its the same guy hard to believe there would be 2 people from perth selling tons of lathe and mill stuff.
It is the same guy. That’s what I was getting at.

As I recall, you bought a long precision bar there. How did that turn out?

I bought a 4ft cast iron straight edge there. It’s milled but not finished. It will one day get scraped… not sure when.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
And then it was the hour trip to perth to Cardon tools well worth the trip, only down $150 but will be making return trips as after an hour and half of looking was enough for me that day, nice family run business still write up bills by hand, had the kids putting away small stuff a nice afternoon thanks to @Rauce for the reminder, They got me a box and I just walked around and emptied my hands everytime I went by, asked about d1-3 stuff but it sounds like it goes fast so I will have to call and check when I remember.
Anyways they had a hss bin so I used my hoarder tendancies to up my collection. and some had some nice previously ground ones that were interesting and ready for use.
1691855370852.jpeg