HQ500 4-Jaw chuck?

BrassMonkey

Hello i just bought used a HQ500 mill/lathe combo. I have a question about it.
I don't understand the compatibilities of different lathe parts yet. I am new to machining and have lots to learn.
Am i able to install a 4 jaw lathe chuck on this machine? If so, which ones?

Hello i just bought used a HQ500 mill/lathe combo. I have a question about it.
I don't understand the compatibilities of different lathe parts yet. I am new to machining and have lots to learn.
Am i able to install a 4 jaw lathe chuck on this machine? If so, which ones?
I just tried looking up your machine, I see that a 4 jaw and faceplate etc are available, but so far can't see what the spindle nose is to hold it on..... Hopefully some others with the same machine will chime in shortly.

Rauce

Ultra Member
Do i have to take anything apart to get this picture? im a noob. Explain it to me like i am 5yrs old.
ideally take whatever chuck is on there off and take a picture of where the chuck mounts.

Alternatively just take a picture up close of the side of the chuck where it mounts.

Before you take anything apart, can you see how the chuck attaches to the spindle? Some thread on, some bolt on and some are held with locking pins.......

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Mt4 is the taper inside the spindle, not sure about the 28mm though......
28 mm is probably the spindle bore but that seems awful big for such a small machine. Maybe it is the OD of the spindle threaded shank. If so, there should also be a thread pitch dimension.

@BrassMonkey - what is the brand name of the company that makes the machine?

If you have a manual, look for something that says what the chuck mount or spindle mount is.

Rauce

Ultra Member
If the manual says MT4 in the spindle then the bore is gonna be around 28mm. MT4 is 31.3mm on the big end. Not that uncommon on a machine that size.

I doubt this machine has a threaded spindle, more likely it has a plain flange mount like a lot of other Asian made hobby type machines.

BrassMonkey

..... Well, I think that settles it. 28mm bore and those bolts on the back of the chuck mounting plate are what holds your chuck on. ....
Ok excellent!
Now… I don’t have a clue which 4 jaw chuck to order.
Can somebody send me a link to which one I should purchase for general hobby work.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think all the advice you have so far is correct. I'm surprised your spindle bore is that big, but that's a good thing not a bad one.

Since your manual doesn't describe your flange mount size, I'd take your 3 jaw off and measure the flange. If that mounting method is as common as @Rauce suggests, then you should be able to find chuck charts to match that flange.

Here is a start. Look at the chart and compare those measurements to the back of your 3 jaw or to the spindle flange.

One thing I noticed is that your back plate has bolts not nuts. If you look at the chart above you will see it lists some of each kind.

Back in post #10 @whydontu sent a link that will get you there. As did @Susquatch I believe, but to find out what will fit yours, you will need to take your existing chuck off and do a little bit of measuring. Once you know what the specs are, you can shop around for the best price.
Hint, when you go to put the 3 jaw back on, lightly snug the bolts, then using a dial indicator, tap it in to run true with something you trust to be round mounted in the jaws....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ok excellent!
Now… I don’t have a clue which 4 jaw chuck to order.
Can somebody send me a link to which one I should purchase for general hobby work.

One of the things you will come to appreciate in time is that nothing is really very simple when it comes to metal working machines. All the questions lead to answers that lead to solutions. You just have to be patient with us. We really do mean well.