Howdy

Vanboy1

Aloha, first post here so I figured I’d might as well share my current project.

I have what I believe to be a Colchester dominion 12x24 lathe sold and tagged as a BIE (Barker Industrial Equipment).

It’s 90% complete, I am missing the rear gear/headstock cover which is a bummer.

Anyhow, I’ve been around machining my entire life and I cannot stay away from the “student” lathes. I love them

Here are some pictures of the project.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9988.jpeg
    IMG_9988.jpeg
    598.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9969.jpeg
    IMG_9969.jpeg
    488.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9875.jpeg
    IMG_9875.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9879.jpeg
    IMG_9879.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 25

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome from SK. I have a 15x48 Dominion, some differences on the gear box selector and the apron controls. Nice machines.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Howdy from Saskatchewan.

Wonder how many forum members remember the radio announcer Buffalo Bob Smith who did the voice of Howdy Doody.

You know it's Howdy Doody Time, perhaps I'm dating myself some.

For those who don't know Howdy Doody was a stuffed dummy. LOL

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Howdy doody from farm country in SW Ontario. Sounds like you are already knee deep in fun.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Howdy doody from farm country in SW Ontario. Sounds like you are already knee deep in fun.

Way back when we lived in farm country meaning the Niagara fruit belt, on a dull rainy day a young lad only had his radio to listen to. No black and white TV back then. So one tried to dial in Buffalo, Rodchester, or Syracuse, NY for entertainment. Sometime it worked, sometimes it didn,t.

Memories from a childs days when you made your own fun like listening to Roy Rogers and his ride Trigger, along with The Lone Ranger, and The Shadow Knows, scarry stuff.

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
Way back when we lived in farm country meaning the Niagara fruit belt, on a dull rainy day a young lad only had his radio to listen to. No black and white TV back then. So one tried to dial in Buffalo, Rodchester, or Syracuse, NY for entertainment. Sometime it worked, sometimes it didn,t.

Memories from a childs days when you made your own fun like listening to Roy Rogers and his ride Trigger, along with The Lone Ranger, and The Shadow Knows, scarry stuff.
We were the same listening to the transistor radio in bed , waking up with the cord wrapped around the neck or wires pulled free. That’s when I learned to solder.

GaryE

Greetings from Prince Edward County. Nice lathe and nice shop!

Last edited:

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member

I remember making my first crystal radio listening to it with one ear plug no batteries could get one station 620 ckck radio in Regina. Had many am radios and like you @Dusty spent many a night dialing in stations wherever you could find, tuning that dial ever so slightly trying to get a lock on a station from Southern Sask could get many northern states usually country music but the odd rock one, or you might get a baseball or football game but as you say on a cloudy night you could pull in stations a lot further away places you maybe never heard of and never heard from again. Was good entertainment back then.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Southern Sask could get many northern states usually country music but the odd rock one

We were up toward Humboldt when I was a boy. No radio there. I didn't play with Crystal radios till my dad moved us east. I also made a crappy walkie talkie for me and my buddies. At first it was a pair of tincans strung between homes with a long string. Then an AM Radio pair with an antenna wire strung between trees and still later a Heathkit Ham Radio and Oscilloscope.

I enjoyed being a boy back then. I don't. Know how kids today can be kids without crystal radios, soapbox cars, pond rafts, crayfish, and underground forts.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Act
I remember making my first crystal radio listening to it with one ear plug no batteries could get one station 620 ckck radio in Regina. Had many am radios and like you @Dusty spent many a night dialing in stations wherever you could find, tuning that dial ever so slightly trying to get a lock on a station from Southern Sask could get many northern states usually country music but the odd rock one, or you might get a baseball or football game but as you say on a cloudy night you could pull in stations a lot further away places you maybe never heard of and never heard from again. Was good entertainment back then.
I screwed up it wasn’t transistor it was a Crystal Rocket Radio like this one.

IMG_1095.jpeg

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Crystal radio, antenna wire strung along the eaves. Then built a one-tube 5A4 regen shortwave radio. Even got an SWL card from Happy Station in Hilversum, Holland. Lord, we were easily impressed back then.