How would you do this?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was reluctant to post this because it is a bit hard to explain and show but I have often found there is such good ingenuity and experience on this forum that I figured I would try anyhow.

I'm attempting to put on an oil cooler on a 250cc motorcycle that wasn't really designed for an oil cooler. The engine however does have oil ports that allow me to tap into for intake and outake. I'm using an aftermarket generic oil cooler.

The oil cooler fittings are 10mm but the engine oil ports are 14mm. I have to somehow adapt the hose fitting to the 14mm oil port.

The easiest would be to bore out the hose fitting to accept a new 14mm oil passage bolt but I don't think there is enough clearance for that to happen and still have acceptable oil flow through the fitting.

My next thought is if I should make a new 10mm oil passage bolt that fits the hose fitting but then make a thread adapter that has 10mm internal threads and 14mm external threads. I'd loctite this adapter on the oil passage bolt once it was through the hose fitting.

The other option I can think of would be to make some sort of 14mm threaded hose barb/nipple that would go directly from engine port to bare hose. It would have to be a 90 degree attachment to keep the hose from protruding too far away from the engine.

Any thoughts or suggestions? 20220516_090817.jpg 20220516_092836.jpg 20220516_090950.jpg 20220516_090849.jpg

I was reluctant to post this because it is a bit hard to explain and show but I have often found there is such good ingenuity and experience on this forum that I figured I would try anyhow.

I'm attempting to put on an oil cooler on a 250cc motorcycle that wasn't really designed for an oil cooler. The engine however does have oil ports that allow me to tap into for intake and outake. I'm using an aftermarket generic oil cooler.

The oil cooler fittings are 10mm but the engine oil ports are 14mm. I have to somehow adapt the hose fitting to the 14mm oil port.

The easiest would be to bore out the hose fitting to accept a new 14mm oil passage bolt but I don't think there is enough clearance for that to happen and still have acceptable oil flow through the fitting.

My next thought is if I should make a new 10mm oil passage bolt that fits the hose fitting but then make a thread adapter that has 10mm internal threads and 14mm external threads. I'd loctite this adapter on the oil passage bolt once it was through the hose fitting.

The other option I can think of would be to make some sort of 14mm threaded hose barb/nipple that would go directly from engine port to bare hose. It would have to be a 90 degree attachment to keep the hose from protruding too far away from the engine.

Any thoughts or suggestions?View attachment 23911View attachment 23912View attachment 23913View attachment 23914
Can you make an adapter to go between? Even drill, tap and face the original plug? Just a thought......

historicalarms

Ultra Member
My first thought on the situation was to wonder if the motorcycle engine has a oil pressure pump, the ones I am familiar with when my brother messed with them was that they are just oil splash lubed but maybe I'm big-time out of date on the newer ones.
Any oil cooler I have use requires a constant flow through oil pressure to work.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My first thought on the situation was to wonder if the motorcycle engine has a oil pressure pump, the ones I am familiar with when my brother messed with them was that they are just oil splash lubed but maybe I'm big-time out of date on the newer ones.
Any oil cooler I have use requires a constant flow through oil pressure to work.
Yes it has a rudimentary oil pump that makes 10-20 psi and moves the oil through an oil filter.

eotrfish

Super User
I'd be a little nervous about tapping the original plug because you will only have .031" theoretical wall thickness left - top drawing.

If you have room for the stick out from the engine case you could make a swage like the one shown in the bottom drawing.
Part1.jpg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Can you make an adapter to go between? Even drill, tap and face the original plug? Just a thought......
I think that is exactly what I have to do. I don't think I should drill and tap the original plug as is a recessed Allen key head. I think I need to make a new adapter with an external hex head for a wrench, external 14x1.5mm threads and internal 10x1.25mm threads. 1652717759313510253421378617885.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ah good point. I gotta think on that.

Make the adapter with two separate halves. On half to fit the engine side and the other to fit the cooler side. That will take some extra space but won't compromise the function or the threaded connection strength. Space is always an issue on a bike, but it might actually help by re-routing the lines at the same time.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I would have a look at the oil circuit schematic. It's possible your will bypass the filter with the cooler. What model is the motorcycle?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I would have a look at the oil circuit schematic. It's possible your will bypass the filter with the cooler. What model is the motorcycle?
I don't believe so. It is a Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250 (enduro/trail/ dual sport or whatever they call them now)

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well I've got a "prototype" figured out. The reason it's a prototype is because I screwed up on the internal thread calculations. The internal thread was a blind hole so threading was a bit tricky but it was depth of thread that I messed up on. I might make the overall length a bit longer in the end to assure enough material between the external and internal threads, but I think this will basically work.
20220517_113816.jpg 20220517_094536.jpg 20220517_113802.jpg

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Well I've got a "prototype" figured out. The reason it's a prototype is because I screwed up on the internal thread calculations. The internal thread was a blind hole so threading was a bit tricky but it was depth of thread that I messed up on. I might make the overall length a bit longer in the end to assure enough material between the external and internal threads, but I think this will basically work.
View attachment 23929View attachment 23930View attachment 23931
Nice! Is there enough room to get a wrench on the adapter?