How Metal Cuts

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Really good video Degen. Those polished aluminium cutting inserts are pretty sharp but they look like butter knives bulldozing through mush at this scale. I saw a special vibrating knife on kickstarter which is supposed to cut more cleanly and easily. Anybody see anyone applying that to machining?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I saw a special vibrating knife on kickstarter which is supposed to cut more cleanly and easily. Anybody see anyone applying that to machining?
Vibration assisted machining (VAM) is a research topic. I found a paper on this with a broad survey of what people are working on. It is LONG paper. There are a lot of pictures showing many technical approaches for milling, turning, and drilling.

Vibration assisted machining (VAM) is a research topic. I found a paper on this with a broad survey of what people are working on. It is LONG paper. There are a lot of pictures showing many technical approaches for milling, turning, and drilling.

.....just finish the pot of coffee, then hand feed, should be plenty of vibration...:rolleyes:
Probably not helpful, but I got up too early for some reason today....