• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

How important is the y axis

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Forgive my ignorance but...how important is the y axis stop on a small milling machine if a DRO is installed. I am wanting to install a dro scale and am thinking if the stop was removed altogether it might make the mounting easier.

Attachments

• 20200727_155252.jpg
    20200727_155252.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 0

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't have a Y-axis stop on my mill. But I put the X-axis scale on the back of the table (lost <.25" travel) and the mount for its reader head acts as a stop against the column preventing me from squishing the scale.
I have pics somewhere...

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I'll check mine tonight too. I have same/similar mill and I can't recall what I did. Can't say I ever used my y-stop. I stop when the DRO says stop as you alluded to.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Somewhere I thought .

Regarding the y axis stop , I used the t-slot to mount my reader. The scale was bolted to the table
060533a3f84df2964c2e2319bcdc92bf.jpg

faafaf67e7b95919ac80a7c7d69154e1.jpg

And the Z (knee)
5de77f91c46d3ccde1e61a58ca376377.jpg

And x
eff5c0a6bc6e35b539be528304ee4ec7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I don't have a stop. Also I don't have anything preventing the DRO scale on the back from getting squished - it is just super rare for me to go that far with the table to the column. If I had power Y I can see mounting supplied Y stop on both ends.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I don't have a stop. Also I don't have anything preventing the DRO scale on the back from getting squished - it is just super rare for me to go that far with the table to the column. If I had power Y I can see mounting supplied Y stop on both ends.
I bet you have more than the 6" from front to the column y travel that I have tho! LOL

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Somewhere I thought .

Regarding the y axis stop , I used the t-slot to mount my reader. The scale was bolted to the table

And the Z (knee)

And x

Great thanks for the pics I'm sure they will help. ( I don't recall seeing those pics....but then again somedays I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast)

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Let me know if there are specific pics you want. I fabbed most of my brackets from scrap angle iron and used my mig welder. Everything is shimmable which helped with the alignment

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Forgive my ignorance but...how important is the y axis stop on a small milling machine if a DRO is installed. I am wanting to install a dro scale and am thinking if the stop was removed altogether it might make the mounting easier.

My opinion: if the Y-stop is preventing you from installing DRO, then DRO wins over stop. But if there is any way to somehow have both, it sure would be the best of both worlds.
I installed an X-stop & its very useful. Pocket milling is a good example. The stop limits the movement table so you can do all the roughing passes & just progressively deepen the Z until finishing pass. Without a stop you are unconstrained, which means you have to creep up on a specific DRO value every movement = 4 movements per single depth setting.

Actually I have not seen an installation like that on a BP, so thanks for the heads up. I struggled with how to make something solid on my RF-45 so never did it, just X.

Attachments

• IMG_2910_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2910_edited-1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2953_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2953_edited-1.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 0

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Somewhere I thought .

And the Z (knee)

And x

Kevin I don't see the power feed stops? Do you plan on mounting them to the aluminum angle cover?

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
They came off two days ago. I didn’t like my implementation , interferes with knee handle.

11pm at night, pinched my knuckle, took a deep breathe, got out the wrenches and removed it before I ripped it off the hard way with two hands

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I wasn't sure if this was your mill or just providing example. But you could likely install the Y DRO on the other side (green scale/reader head footprint) and the X DRO might occupy something like red space. Ideally still not interfere with existing Y-stop asembly. A good chunk of time on DRO installation is fiddle-farting around deciding where things can go, how to mount, how to adjust, brackets, cable routing etc

Attachments

• 2020-07-27_21-48-43.jpg
    2020-07-27_21-48-43.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 0

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I wasn't sure if this was your mill or just providing example. But you could likely install the Y DRO on the other side (green scale/reader head footprint) and the X DRO might occupy something like red space. Ideally still not interfere with existing Y-stop asembly. A good chunk of time on DRO installation is fiddle-farting around deciding where things can go, how to mount, how to adjust, brackets, cable routing etc
Yes that is my mill. I decided I should be able to keep the Y stops in place but plan "A" doesn't look like it will work how I would like, so plan "B" will come tomorrow. As far as the x axis scale mounting I think i will be putting it in the front of the table as the y travel gets too squishy back against the column. I appreciate everyones input.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
No once they shipped the thing it was surprisingly fast....it was in calgary last Friday.
Did you get yours?

Mine was left on our front step Monday. We were OOT Sun to Thurs. A neighbour grabbed them for us, so they weren't on the front step for 4 days. UPS didn't leave any kind of invoice behind for tax and duty? Did you get charged?

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Mine was left on our front step Monday. We were OOT Sun to Thurs. A neighbour grabbed them for us, so they weren't on the front step for 4 days. UPS didn't leave any kind of invoice behind for tax and duty? Did you get charged?
Ya i had to pay $8 something for each of the two packages online beforehand. I'm happy.