How easy or difficult to remove spindle pulley?

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I'm cleaning and painting the head of my 8x30 mill, the top cover is off and the base is free to go except the spindle pulley does not clear the hole in the base.

How does the pulley actually attach to the spindle? Better I ask than muff something up taking it apart.

Thanks D391367D-9410-4098-B4DB-E355FAF92016.jpeg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Not sure on yours. Most have a set screw or two in the belly of the belt groove or a square head grub screw on the side of the pulley through to the shaft - in both cases often pushing on a key on the shaft.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
I've never worked on one of those but I'd sure be getting a closer look at that circular nut looking thing in the middle. Is there 4 notches and maybe 2 holes for some kind of pin wrench ?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Looking at your photo I see what I think is a hole for a drive pin. Is there another one 180 from that? If so, they Hub is prolly threaded on and can be turned off with a spanner wrench - but you might need to make a tool for that. Same applies to what looks like side lock grooves.

Edit - Cuslog noticed the same thing. Are there any threads on the shaft? Are they right or left handed?

Tecnico

(Dave)
Written while @cuslog and @Susquatch were typing.....I type slower.

I'm not sure I'm missing something in the photo but it looks to me like the pulley is retained by what I'd call a ring nut. The ring with the four notches and a fifth hole in its face. I can't tell but perhaps the fifth hole might have a set screw to lock it in place. I've also seen similar nuts locked by a metal washer with a tab which you bend up into one of the notches. That was on a 3/4 ton floating hub. My First mill table leadscrew adjusters have the same kind of ring nut.

D :cool: