• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

How do I put threads on the end of aluminum pipes? Noob needs to know!

Tim Walsh

Hi guys!

Yes, I am a complete noob to metal working, but trying to pick up a few useful things. I am working on a gardening tool that I have designed. I have some half inch aluminium pipes. I want to put pipe threads on the end of each pipe (both sides), so that I can screw on a metal cap or something, perhaps metal choke (i think thats what it's called) to attach another smaller diameter pipe to the larger aperature. A pipe Within a pipe essentially. The metal choke allow you to tighten the smaller pipes length and slide the smaller pipe inside the larger at differing lengths...like an antenna. Like I said, this is a design for a gardening tool I have an idea for.

Can any of you point me in the right direction.

My equipment is a combination lathe/mill from Busybee tools in Calgary if that helps.

Cheers!

kylemp

If it's only half inch I would suggest going to busy bee and picking up a NPT die, since they are tapered.. Easiest solution

Ironborn

Hey Tim I'm a pipefitter and can cut those threads for you if you need. Be careful with what you get. There is a difference between pipe and tube. pipe measured on the ID, tube measures on the OD.
Other than that pretty straight forward, you will need a vise or some way to hold the pipe while you thread the ends.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Are you wanting pipe thread (ie. tapered) for pressure sealing requirements like for fluids? Or is it more of a mechanical fitting thing?

When you say threads on both sided, I assume you mean the OD & ID? That's do-able but it starts to limit the thread sizes you can accommodate, especially on stock tubular wall thickness etc. It might also be a stress riser thing with aluminum specifically, more prone to cracking because the V's of threads are pointing into one another.

Another option might be to have the adapter part with ID threads on one side to match tubing OD threads and then a separate threading arrangement on the other end... if I understand your requirement. A sketch would be helpful if its not secret squirrel invention stuff :)