• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

How big of a monitor for Fusion 360?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That’s no good you’re finding it so non-intuitive. So you’re saying its different to how you navigated in Catia?

Ya, Catia had a big ball that you rolled with your fingertips. That was about as intuitive as it gets for rotating a part. You zoomed in and out or panned by holding different buttons with your thumb while you rolled. It was cool cuz you could pick a point and then roll to tag another point behind the part.

Anyway, no point lamenting the past. Catia is gone for me now. It's time to move on.

The thing I'm having trouble with now is distinguishing between pushing and tilting. It's hard to tilt that thing about its center. I keep wanting to tilt it like a joystick about its root. Maybe I'm not holding it right.

I wasn't kidding when I said I wanted to grab it like a goose's neck.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
My wife bought me a big curved 32" monitor for Flight Simulator. I love it. Even up close it is, as you said, a more immersive experience.

But I was also surprised by how well it works with other applications. I can easily open and use 4 windows simultaneously. Even six is usable.

I'm no fusion wizard, but I have found that I can open a browser with help information or documentation beside my CAD window and it makes things easier than just having one window open.

In other words, I don't think a screen can be too big as long as you remember that your application doesn't necessarily have to fill the whole screen.

I much prefer separate physical screens than trying to arrange things (even with the shortcuts and stickiness) on a single monitor.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Ya, Catia had a big ball that you rolled with your fingertips. That was about as intuitive as it gets for rotating a part. You zoomed in and out or panned by holding different buttons with your thumb while you rolled. It was cool cuz you could pick a point and then roll to tag another point behind the part.

Anyway, no point lamenting the past. Catia is gone for me now. It's time to move on.

The thing I'm having trouble with now is distinguishing between pushing and tilting. It's hard to tilt that thing about its center. I keep wanting to tilt it like a joystick about its root. Maybe I'm not holding it right.

I wasn't kidding when I said I wanted to grab it like a goose's neck

Hey wait, you didn’t tell us you were going to splurge!

Lol! Poor goose! Gentle there…;) All it needs is a light fingertip grip, not a strangle hold!

Give it a bit to get used to it and you’ll have a mind meld and all will be well. Seriously, with hands on time you’ll build the muscle memory that’ll make the connection between where the head wants it to go and the fingers that have to get it there and you won’t be having to think about it and it’ll just happen.

Kind of like the first time you used a joystick with Flight Sim and now, after using it for hundreds of hours.

Important tip: keep the wire pointing north relative to your desk/monitor position to keep the axes aligned.

D :cool:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Important tip: keep the wire pointing north relative to your desk/monitor position to keep the axes aligned.

Good tip! I don't think I would have have thought about it for a good while.

Hey wait, you didn’t tell us you were going to splurge!

Sorry.... I guess I should have taken out a full screen google ad targeting Fusion users about a planned partnership between a Yeti and a little mouse to strangle a goose.