• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Honing tool repair

fixerup

Super User
I have had this cylinder honing tool for a long time, it was missing the adjuster nut. The thread measured 7/16 - 14. I made a 7/16- 14 nut and it would not fit.???? Upon closer look I realized it was a 7/16 double start thread. Didn't expect that! Google my friend found this YT video for me " Machine shop tips #128 Cutting a double thread on the lathe" . Mr Pete did a really good job explaining the thread type and how to make it. Walked over to the bench grinder and ground a blank cutting tool to be able to thread the 7/16-14 double start thread. Followed Mr Pete instructions and bingo, I did my very first multi thread on a lathe. The internet is so useful and thanks to all who contribute helping others.

Attachments

• honing tool.jpg
    honing tool.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 10

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good threading. Never done any double start threads, a few acme, lots of square and sae threads though.