Holbrook Minor ..... great deal at 3900

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Don't like 15k for 10ee? Here's a comparable quality lathe that looks in great shape for 3900. One of a handful of lathes in the 10ee's class, imo. AND it includes chucks, collets and taper attachment

e989ad53-3275-42aa-9eaa-f06581fd4345-1300x863.jpg

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
Missed out on of those for, to my recollection, $2000 a few years ago, just outside of Hamilton. Shook on it, but I was slow sorting out the moving, and it disappeared. Been kicking myself since. I keep looking at the listing, but I don’t have the time to drive to Quebec and back, right now.

Plus, rental truck and trailer mileage would be deadly.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Brand new paint jobs always put me off. What are they hiding? And why are they wanting to make it look fancy.

Ya, new paint turns me off big time.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
That's also not even "in" Quebec too, it's like just the tip of Quebec. You'll be in and out before you feel it. :D

Nice lathe for a good price. My opinion of the paint would be 100% contingent on a conversation from the owner.

trevj

Ultra Member
As to the new paint... Meh. Pretty, but it needs a good close look at the stuff paint doesn't hide!

I lived out at Longueuil for a bit over a year, right next to the St Hubert airport. Were that to have popped up on my field of view then, it would have been a no-brainer, to at least go out and look at it! I drove a LOT farther, for less potential!

mjautek

oh hey, I have one of these; I paid 1600 I think in 2019, with one chuck and a wooden box of collets...

this one's pretty much the same as mine (early ish production) and if it's in good shape it should be a pretty fantastic machine. shame about the modifications (knobs on threading box selector, repaint, casters (!!!)) though, I think they're pretty gross haha.

Biggest selling point on the Minor (in my opinion) is that one of a very few manual lathes where the both the spindle speed and feed are infinitely variable, on the fly - I know the HLV-H can do this and maybe a few others, but most lathes of this class like the 10EE and schaublin 135 can't.

oh yeah and 2700 lb is about right. don't believe the manual - they say it's 1680 lb for some reason but a guy on the holbrook group (groups.io) weighed his at 2750 lb. I moved mine with pallet truck and trailer with huge ramp / box truck with lift gate and this is about the heaviest machine I'd want to move without a forklift...