• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hobart Handler 175

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Saw an ad on Kijiji for a Hobart Handler 175 Mig welder for $175. Seller said it did not work. In the ad, it looked like it had been taken apart. Seller was selling with nice cart (ie solid) and gas regulator. I went to see it, had a great chat with another retired guy and left with the package for $80. In my research, a common problem is a transistor and/or thermal component on the circuit board. (the problem was no wire feed) I did some checks and then pulled the board out. Found that someone had tried to replace a component but was a little too inexperienced to do it successfully. I had one in stock, replaced the component and repaired the connections to the board. I threw some flux core in it and it seems to weld quite nice. I have not had a Hobart before. Not sure what I am going to do with it but what the heck,a mig welder and cart for $80..can't go wrong. I will need to run it for a bit to see if the componenet was the problem or another problem that took the component out in the first place. Time will tell. Yay for old equipment where the circuit board is actually repairable. New stuff, not so much.

To be honest, the machine has seen a lot of use but seems ok. I might put the spool gun on it and keep it as an aluminum machine. I guess that means another bottle of Argon, and more floor space to sacrifice.... :rolleyes:

Now, if only I could run a bead I am proud of.....:confused:

Attachments

• Hobart 175.jpg
    Hobart 175.jpg
    874.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Hobart Cart.jpg
    Hobart Cart.jpg
    799.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice fix Shawn, just curious what component you replaced? It has become rarer and rarer to find something you can actually solder without a microscope. The cart looks great too even a spot for the tank. I was lucky with my Lincoln mig 140 as well as a local farmer put it up on kijiji for free said it didn't work so it was super close like 10k away so I went right away he didn't think there was much hope for it, I took it home gave it going over and tightened a few connections and have been using it ever since there was only one time it acted a bit weird but could have been a bad ground but its welded everything I have asked.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Your lucky I bought a Millermatic 135 for $50. that turn out to release the magic smoke from a capacitor (1 of 6) and replaced them all for around $250. The new ones were for the next size up welder and was told it should run a bit smoother with them.

01103DCD-12A5-4FC1-8760-C82DBC42B009.jpeg

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice fix Shawn, just curious what component you replaced? It has become rarer and rarer to find something you can actually solder without a microscope. The cart looks great too even a spot for the tank. I was lucky with my Lincoln mig 140 as well as a local farmer put it up on kijiji for free said it didn't work so it was super close like 10k away so I went right away he didn't think there was much hope for it, I took it home gave it going over and tightened a few connections and have been using it ever since there was only one time it acted a bit weird but could have been a bad ground but its welded everything I have asked.

The component is an LM340T Voltage regulator. The photo is before I worked on it. It actually, may have been ok. I don't know the history but in an attempt to repair the drive roller problem, U1 was removed I think but the board was damaged in the process. Then when replaced, I don't think connections were completed. I just pulled it out, and replaced it since I had one. The damaged traces might have been the problem this time. My replacement is not pretty because I had to be able to solder from the top and the bottom due to board damage. It would be tail light warranty repair. ...o_O

I wanted to try it out so put the grab hooks on the tractor bucket with it today. Seemed to work fine. Flux core.
Nice find on the Mig 140. I had the weldpak 100 for a while, and then sold it when I got some other machines but no other 120 Volt unit. I then came across one when I bought some other stuff and got it again. Handy to have. I keep it at camp. Used it last summer to help a neighbour out with putting fenders back onto his trailer after a rough fishing trip. The trailer could not be hauled far without ripping tires apart so being able to fix it just down the road was great!

Your lucky I bought a Millermatic 135 for $50. that turn out to release the magic smoke from a capacitor (1 of 6) and replaced them all for around $250. The new ones were for the next size up welder and was told it should run a bit smoother with them.

That sucks....but as you probably reasoned, you upgraded the unit and still have a good little welder for $300. Maybe not the stellar deal you hoped for, but still a fair price if in otherwise good condition. Did you replace anything else or just the caps? In my experience, usually something takes out a cap like that, ie, a shorted semiconductor. But when the caps get old, the electrolyte dries up, gradually changing the value and specs, so swapping all was a good preventative measure. If it has been good since, you should be good.

I have worked on a few of the small size welders like that. ( not a millermatic though, I don't think) Many use several button diodes connected between two plates. Occasionally, I have found one or two shorted where the others (4 or 5) tested ok. I learned to just replace all of them if one goes. In parallel, if one fails open, the others are carrying extra load, till one more fails, then if the unit is still working 4 of 6 are now carrying the load. They all get stressed more as each fails, if they fail open. If they fail closed of course, the circuit breaker lets us know. ...
Welders are fun to work on...but then I like welders and I like electronics so nice projects for a nerd like me.....

A side story, when I was in the seller's shop, I noted he had a DRO on his milling machine. I commented on it and he said he had ripped the cable out of the x axis scale. I offered to look at it for him. He was able to send me photos of the inside of his other ones and I was able to clean up the board and repair the connections. Took it back today and he was tickled pink when we hooked it up and he was back in business!

So the guy sells me a defective welder and gets a free scale fix out of it! I am not a good horse trader....probably not a good business person....
but I think I have a favour in the bank. ;)

Cheers,

Attachments

• Defective component1.jpg
    Defective component1.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Bucket hooks.jpg
    Bucket hooks.jpg
    948.6 KB · Views: 11

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As I said, the welder looks well used. I was poking around Amazon and found a whole torch assembly for < $11. Free shipping to me by Monday cause of Prime.

It is either a total misprint of the price or the item but since things are easily returnable, I threw the dice. I will report back Monday.

Anyone see what is wrong here? I can't..... gotta be something though. I did note it is only rated for 100 amps so maybe good for the Migpak at camp. It has an intermittent fault in the lead and is on my bench but for $11, this might be ok.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B083DJ6PQ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Its a crap shoot for sure it says miller for 11 bucks you can't go wrong I don't see anything that would prove its not the right one but again no overwhelming evidence that is the right one.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It can be a bit sketchy when the traces pull off the board one thing I have used in the past is solder wick its great for removing solder, but I have also used it many time to strengthen traces that have pulled away you can form it once its got some solder in it and is very solid after. In other cases you can use a wire to another solder point on the trace to ensure you have a good connection. Many places sell it.

NTE Electronics SW01-5 No-Clean Solder Wick, 3 Green.075" Width, 5' Length: Amazon.ca: Industrial & Scientific

It looks like it did a good job on the hooks, if you don't end up needing it and it works well you should be able to get a good buck for it if you want to sell it , And you did a good job helping the guy out, I am like you I would have done the same thing probably you were more curious to fix it than making a buck I would never be a good business man either that way, the excitement and satisfaction of the repair is more appealing than the $$$.
Thanks for the info.

The component is an LM340T Voltage regulator. The photo is before I worked on it. It actually, may have been ok. I don't know the history but in an attempt to repair the drive roller problem, U1 was removed I think but the board was damaged in the process. Then when replaced, I don't think connections were completed. I just pulled it out, and replaced it since I had one. The damaged traces might have been the problem this time. My replacement is not pretty because I had to be able to solder from the top and the bottom due to board damage. It would be tail light warranty repair. ...o_O

I wanted to try it out so put the grab hooks on the tractor bucket with it today. Seemed to work fine. Flux core.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Received the new cable today. Fit perfectly. Works great. The seller of the welder gave me a new cable block so I changed that out at the same time. I don't understand but for less than $11.....:cool:

Attachments

• Welding Cable.jpg
    Welding Cable.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7