• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

High Speed Threading (to a shoulder) On A Manual Lathe

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
1000 rpm, 1.0 mm thread pitch, to a hard shoulder and not crash the tool.... all on a manual lathe.

Came across this video by a British Machinist.

I think I just added another project to my already long list.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good score Rudy. That is a very neat design. He is right, there are other retracting mechanisms, but none that I've seen with that amount of retraction reach to clear shoulders like his demo video + simplicity of resetting tool position. I don't 100% understand the interaction geometry of the parts. Reminds me of a Winchester lever loader which I don't fully understand either LOL. Maybe I could reach out to him & even get some sketches, from that load into my CAD program & do the similar motion evaluation.

I scratched my head over this thread retraction issue in the past & never really resolved, leaving it to:
1. run threading tool in opposite direction (from HS to TS). Not all lathes have the Fwd/Rev & feed screw direction capability and/or screw spindle vs Camlock. Fortunately mine does.
2. have the retraction occur with solenoid, either directly to the plunger movement itself, or un-triggering a lock & allowing a spring to move. (I think that's mechanically what he achieved).
3. installing a mini dedicated geared motor on the end of the lathe spindle that basically drives the threading operation. The main motor is turned off & is just rotating along for the ride. A glorified way of powering the 'hand crank' method but now you have some power behind it & potential to limit stop electrically

2&3 are above my electrical pay grade so they sit in cobweb mode.

I'm game to work on this if you are!!

Attachments

• SNAG-2-7-2020 0000.jpg
    SNAG-2-7-2020 0000.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 0

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Peter, I stumbled upon his videos as I was researching info on my Clarkson T&CG; found this website: http://bedroom-workshop.com. There was a link to Paul Hopewell’s videos. He has a Clarkson as well, but some parts were missing - so he made them.

I agree with you that threading from H to T solves a lot of the crash potentials. I use it whenever I can. Like you, I was very intrigued by his clever design.

If you can get some further info (plans), I would be up to pursuing the project.