• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

High carbon steel and a pile of aluminum

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Morning fellows, I have started a farm yard clean up in a yard that was used for the last 60 yrs as a bit of a junk collection site for construction & farming equipment.
I dont know what will roll out of the grass yet but so far I have found some wear resistant ground engagement pieces (hay rake tines, cultivator shanks, wire rope) that should be very good for knife/sword etc and a couple large aluminum pieces.
there could very likely be upwards of 1000 pounds of steel and 2 or 3 hundred pounds of alum.
one question that I need you to answer , is steel with rust on the outside suitable for forging into something usable or am i wasting my time separating it for you guys.

By the time Im done piling it up there could be a lifetimes supply of carbon steel there for someone close enough to come pick it up (n I'm 35 min east of Red Deer) and priced very reasonable compared to foundry pricing.

With enough heat and pressure, rust is strictly NOT a problem. And, for them that ARE concerned, there are solutions ranging from Evaporust to electrolysis or simple salt dissolved in vinegar soak.

Back