• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hi from Vancouver

futnuh

Darran
Hi All. I'm based in Vancouver and brand new to metal work - my last project was the keychain shown below, made in school 30 years ago ;-) Actually I'm fairly new to fabrication in general. For the last 15 years I've run a small company that makes digital interactives for museums and science centres. This work has put me on the periphery of fabrication, looking in at all kinds of interesting custom work in wood, plastic and metal. A couple of years ago I joined the Vancouver MakerLabs with the aim of being able to make things myself. Being a software guy, I'm drawn to CNC. All of my work so far though has been working in wood on a ShopBot (like the Scrabble wall shown). I'm just starting on MakerLabs' Tormach PCNC 1100 mill. I've only done some a bit of conversational facing, pocketing and engraving in aluminum and steel (like the drawbar nut wrench photo).

I'm really happy to have discovered this forum. I'm afraid that I'm going to be more of a question than answer person for the foreseeable future. Please bear with me.

My plans for the near future:
1) Get comfortable on the Tormach working conversationally with aluminum.
2) Since I'm now pretty decent in Fusion 360 (design and CAM), learn to post to the Tormach from Fusion
3) I'm really interested in learning metal lathe ... with an eye to CNC lathe. Unfortunately MakerLabs doesn't yet have a metal lathe, CNC or manual :-(

For me, the end goal is being able to fabricate hardware for museum interactives and desktop science toys.

Cheers,
Darran.

keychain.jpg

scrabble.jpg

steel_wrench.jpeg

Last edited:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
welcome! CNC lathes are are great fun. I turn a little on the manual lathes but cnc in always more fun and faster nine times out of ten

Another Vancouver CNC guy here.

Since you use Fusion360, you might like to know that the home and hobby version is going to be severely downgraded ( Nerfed as some like to say.) I can't post a link yet but if you go to YouTube and search on Fusion 360 and the author "TFI" you can watch his video.

futnuh

Darran
Since you use Fusion360, you might like to know that the home and hobby version is going to be severely downgraded ( Nerfed as some like to say.)
I appreciate the heads-up David. Luckily I have a paid license. I can justify the $500 annual cost by using Fusion occasionally as part of my day job. And even though the free restrictions don't directly affect me, I think it's a short-sighted move by Autodesk, especially removing the ability to export STEP files.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Another Vancouver CNC guy here.

Since you use Fusion360, you might like to know that the home and hobby version is going to be severely downgraded ( Nerfed as some like to say.) I can't post a link yet but if you go to YouTube and search on Fusion 360 and the author "TFI" you can watch his video.

There's another thread on this in the forum: https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/changes-to-fusion-360-for-personal-use.2460/

David - nice bike in the picture. What is it? Looks like you're in Death Valley, California to me.

There's another thread on this in the forum: https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/changes-to-fusion-360-for-personal-use.2460/

David - nice bike in the picture. What is it? Looks like you're in Death Valley, California to me.

That's my old 2003 Yamaha FJR. I put 300,000 Km's on it. I rode it down to the Barber Motorsports museum in Alabama last May and handed over the bike and keys. It might be on display some time in the next couple of years. Yes, that is Death Valley. Now I have a 2016 FJR and a 2015 Honda CBR1000RR.