• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hi from St Catharines

gerritv

Gerrit
Happy to join this merry band. Found the forum whilst looking for Acme threaded rod source in Canada. (Found Threadall in Cambridge)
I am retired from 43 years working on or with computers, starting with 15 years repairing/fixing mainframes for Univac in Toronto (and sometimes Edmonton, Vancouver and Calgary). Shifted to microcomputers in 1982, then programming, software design/architect and project management.
Always had an interest in mechanical things, I got that from my dad who e.g. built us a model train out of scrapped telephone parts in while we were still living in Holland. Grade 9 machine shop got me hooked on machining. As a hobby I have built a Jan Ridders 2 cyl engine (glass cylinders, still not a runner though) and a lot of tools including a Eureka Relieving device to make T2.5 timing pulley cutters.
Presently building a CNC gantry mill/router, 400x400x150 very similar to Stepmores SM4040 (Stefan Gotteswinter has one). It will run from Pathpilot.

I started a Rudy Kouhoupt double expansion marine engine but it is on hold until the gantry build is done.

Gerrit