Hey....just retired. Interest in smallish live steam.

Good morning.

Recently retired and planning to rebuild my metalworking shop over the next 6 months. Shop will be in the basement, so my gear will need to be reasonable to transport down stairs with only one or two people. That's a little tough ask, but since my project is a 3-1/2" gauge locomotive most of the smaller lathes and mills will fit the bill.

Thoughts on best gear that's reasonably priced and not weighing a ton? Option to part tear-down and reassemble in basement is viable (depending on machine build).

Currently thinking a gently used South Bend might be the best starting point, or a Myford (a bit pricey but nice, I gather). Full disclosure, I did have an Atlas 318 years ago, but the ways were badly worn and it was ultimately a little small for my needs.

Cheers....and any replies (including cheeky ones) appreciated!

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Welcome from the west coast.

The loco sounds like a very interesting project.

3 1/2 gauge isn't a small loco, what's the biggest diameter you'll need to swing in a lathe? Do you need metric and/or standard?

trlvn

Ultra Member
Welcome @dave_lawson@ !

On Youtube, you might want to check out the Blondihacks channel. She is currently building some 'garden-scale' railway stuff. (Not my area of interest but she almost always has an approach or an idea that I'd never have thought of.) She has a bench top mill (RF-45 type) plus a 10X22 lathe and seems to get along well.

I have similar size stuff in my basement in Oakville that you're welcome to come and check out. Shoot me a private message if that's something you'd like to set up. I have posted threads previously on moving my mill and lathe into the basement.

BTW, I have to chuckle a bit that you're asking for the "best gear that's reasonably priced and not weighing a ton". If you do find that unicorn, we'd all like the details!! ;)

Craig

Welcome! What is your experience level Dave? Do you have to negotiate stairs or is there a walk out? Describe the stairs if any!
Experience is intermediate. Been working with my hands for 50 years, but only a few with metalworking machines.

Stairs are actually simple and straight, 11 steps down, but I have limited physical resources.

Welcome from the west coast.

The loco sounds like a very interesting project.

3 1/2 gauge isn't a small loco, what's the biggest diameter you'll need to swing in a lathe? Do you need metric and/or standard?
I am pretty certain that an 8x16 would suffice, but would strongly prefer an imperial based unit. Seems there are lots of modern choices in metric, but not my preference.

Upnorth

I am pretty certain that an 8x16 would suffice, but would strongly prefer an imperial based unit. Seems there are lots of modern choices in metric, but not my preference.
I wouldn't worry too much if the lathe is metric or imperial. Add on a digital read out and you have both a metric and standard lathe with the push of a button. DRO's are very reasonably priced these days especially if you have enough space for a optical scale. If you need magnetic scales it cost's a bit more. I am 100% hooked on using a DRO and would not operate a lathe without one.

gerritv

Gerrit
Welcome from St Catharines.
You might want to consider joining Hamilton Model Engineering Club, we meet at the Hamilton Steam Museum every 3rd Sunday at 1300. First meeting is Sept 17. A few members build/built live steam engines. Also Golden Horseshoe Live Steamers, who have a track at the museum. They mostly run engines, not so much building them but good exposure for you. One advantage of joining is that many machine tools get sold without ever seeing the light of day on FB Marketplace or Kijiji.

I (and my wife) have moved a King 1022 lathe and an Atlas MF mill downstairs on a 2 wheel dolley. We also moved a 600lb Cincinnatti grinder downstairs, thankfully the new owner moved it out :) Some disassembly but quite manageable even at +60 years old.

Whatever machines you get, put a DRO on it. Life is too short to start counting graduations on dials at our age. As for metric vs inferial lathes, most are inferial even the Asian ones. And they generally cut both types of threads, although most of your threading will be tap and die, not on the lathe.

I wouldn't worry too much if the lathe is metric or imperial. Add on a digital read out and you have both a metric and standard lathe with the push of a button. DRO's are very reasonably priced these days especially if you have enough space for a optical scale. If you need magnetic scales it cost's a bit more. I am 100% hooked on using a DRO and would not operate a lathe without one.
Good point. Had pondered that. From what I have read it isn't too hard to add a two axis DRO system, with the bits and bobs relatively inexpensive. Thanks!

Welcome from St Catharines.
You might want to consider joining Hamilton Model Engineering Club, we meet at the Hamilton Steam Museum every 3rd Sunday at 1300. First meeting is Sept 17. A few members build/built live steam engines. Also Golden Horseshoe Live Steamers, who have a track at the museum. They mostly run engines, not so much building them but good exposure for you. One advantage of joining is that many machine tools get sold without ever seeing the light of day on FB Marketplace or Kijiji.

I (and my wife) have moved a King 1022 lathe and an Atlas MF mill downstairs on a 2 wheel dolley. We also moved a 600lb Cincinnatti grinder downstairs, thankfully the new owner moved it out :) Some disassembly but quite manageable even at +60 years old.

Whatever machines you get, put a DRO on it. Life is too short to start counting graduations on dials at our age. As for metric vs inferial lathes, most are inferial even the Asian ones. And they generally cut both types of threads, although most of your threading will be tap and die, not on the lathe.
Thanks, I have seen the live steamers running as GHLS, but not sure if thats still operating. Either way, I do believe I will check things out there. Thanks!

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome from SK. I have been slowly building a basement work shop, had my daughter help me move a LC-30A mill drill down stairs in pieces. We also had the help of winch on the 4 wheeler, and a pair of 2x8's on the stairs, a must in my opinion. We also moved a 10x22 lathe in using the same method. Good luck on your basement build.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from farm country south of Chatham Ontario. Sounds to me like our members your way already have you all Janney'd up.

Love to know more about how you find that fictional free time in retirement. In my experience that's all lies or the after effects of swilling too much corporate coolaide.