Hero Time

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Apparently my wife has been all over Ontario trying unsuccessfully to find a copy of this.....

20221017_175807~2.jpg

20221017_175801~2.jpg

She needs it to fix this gnarly light fixture she found at a garage sale. There are four of them on the fixture and one is missing. It is just painted brass.

I asked her why she didn't ask me to make one for her. Her reply was both disappointing and very hard on my ego. "I know you can do amazing things with all those machines of yours Sweetheart but this is WAAAY beyond your skill set. There is no way that you can make one of these...." :(

I looked at it carefully and proudly announced "Oh yes I can!".

It's a perfect opportunity to use the new ball turner and BXA tool holder that I recently modified for it.

I was this close to telling her that she could do it too and I'd love to show her how.... But then thought better of that idea. As much as it's a perfect opportunity to show her what can be done with machine tools, I think the HERO points are much more valuable to me.

So, I don't plan to make it look easy. I think it's better to take a while and milk it for all its worth!!! :cool:

Apparently my wife has been all over Ontario trying unsuccessfully to find a copy of this.....

She needs it to fix this gnarly light fixture she found at a garage sale. There are four of them on the fixture and one is missing. It is just painted brass.
The picture makes me think of half of a very old Kiwi! What does the rest of it look like?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The picture makes me think of half of a very old Kiwi! What does the rest of it look like?

I'll take another picture for you tomorrow. You looking for the rest of the part I had in my hand or the rest of the light fixture?

Tecnico

(Dave)
It's nice to use the shop for good once in a while. If you have a shop apron, now is the time to turn it around and wear it as a cape when you give her the freshly made part.
You know, I'm enjoying the good natured banter in this thread and it really is satisfying to be able to use the toys to come to the rescue now and then. Even better if it's unexpected like in @Susquatch 's case.

D:cool:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ok, so here is most of the light fixture. You will have to assemble the parts in your heads to see the big picture.

The glass is broken. She dropped something on it and it broke. I think she did it on purpose because she doesn't like the colour of the glass. She has in mind to replace it with individual lamp shades.

The photo with the arrows shows where those contoured brass adapters hold the square bars to the round center shaft. You can see two pairs of the balls, screws, and round nuts in the last photo. The two arrows show where the parts are connected. The center column fixture needs to be raised about 6 inches relative to the rest if what I will call the candleabra.

20221019_101642.jpg 20221019_102847.jpg 20221019_102406.jpg
20221019_101642~2.jpg

And here are the two side of the "Hero" adapter.

I kept my hairy knuckles out of the photo so @Chip Maker could sleep at night.

20221019_131416.jpg 20221017_175807~2.jpg

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Should be relatively easy to make. Brass bar stock, turn to O.D, chuck into collet holder on the mill, use boring head set at radius to suit. That's how I make custom pipe fittings for lateral connectors.

Try these guys, they might even have the pieces in stock. And they'll have any other boys you need, including the glass shades.

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 11.06.30 AM.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Should be relatively easy to make. Brass bar stock, turn to O.D, chuck into collet holder on the mill, use boring head set at radius to suit. That's how I make custom pipe fittings for lateral connectors.

Try these guys, they might even have the pieces in stock. And they'll have any other boys you need, including the glass shades.

No hero status if I buy it!

Anyways, already done.

Used a boring bar to cut the radius.
Then moved to lathe
Cut the od
Drilled for the screw.
Used parting tool to cut about 3/16 deep
Mounted ball turner and cut the ball section - that's why I need a bit of a part off first.
Remounted parting tool and cut through to drilled hole.
All done.

Looks great. She was "amazed". Hero status achieved. Didn't cut myself for extra points though.

Here it is with the first coat of paint she put on it. One more coat and ready to install. Original on right.

20221019_192435.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
And they'll have any other boys you need, including the glass shades.

I'll suggest that source to her but I think she has in mind to weave a wire basket. Some things she is fussy about, other things she wings it. But regardless, the only thing that she ever worked on that didn't turn out gorgeous was me.

I hung the chain and lamp wire earlier tonight. Be a while before the lamp goes up though.