• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hendey 14x30 Lathe $250 Vancouver

JReimer

wow - and I just heard back.
"I'm receiving a lot more offers than I expected so I'm raising the price to $350." :eek:

unfortunately he wants people to come next Tuesday and that is the one day I am unavailable.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
"I'm receiving a lot more offers than I expected so I'm raising the price to $350." :eek:

What a piece of work. Willing to dick all those people around for $100.

I suggest telling him you think its worth $4900 and will very likely take it, but are travelling and can't get there for 4 weeks.

I wouldn't really do it as I'm not as big an ass as I sometimes wish I was, but turnabout is fair play!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I suggest telling him you think its worth $4900 and will very likely take it, but are travelling and can't get there for 4 weeks.

Now that there is FUNNY! I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he reads that message! I understand why you wouldn't do it, but the devil in me wishes you would!

JReimer

He changed the price to $350 and wants people to show up tomorrow to view. It sounds like he wants everyone to come in the same window of time. I unfortunately can't make it tomorrow so I guess I am out of the running.

hopefully someone else can go check it out. it's at Robar Industries in south Surrey. (I assume it's ok to share that as it is a business not a personal address)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
He changed the price to $350 and wants people to show up tomorrow to view. It sounds like he wants everyone to come in the same window of time.

Sorta sounds like he wants to run his own auction. This is the same strategy the real estate industry has foisted on home sales.

I just wouldn't play. That only leads to bad decisions rushed by the seller. He will prolly get burned by a buyer who bad mouths the deal. I've seen a few real estate deals tank for that reason.

Greed is never a good policy.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Having chatted with the seller I don't think he's playing a game. He's a co-op student with a summer job at the place. They are moving to a new facility and no longer need the machine.
If he was trying to play a game I think he would have increased the price by more than $100.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
He's a co-op student with a summer job at the place. It's moving to a new facility and they no longer need the machine.

I hope you are right. But I still wouldn't play ball.

And besides, not raising the price is a perfectly legitimate way to create a bidding war today.

My daughter just sold her house last week. They wanted 450 for it. The real estate told her to list for 300 to get traffic, force the opening of bids to be on one day only. They had over 40 views, a dozen offers including 2 for 525. They told the buyers it was a tie and ended up getting 550. In my mind it's all just a way for the real estate to get more money. They made 33k on that sale for doing virtually nothing over 2 weeks. High prices are in their best interests.

Wierd stuff is happening in the buy and sell market place today. Who knows what your seller is really up to.......

I think I already mentioned on here what a local auctioneer told me when I asked when we would be getting back to live auctions now that the pandemic has stabilized. His answer was simple. "NEVER".

Those characters are making way more money now for less work than they ever did before. Why would they go back to the old way?

I think it's the same with Real Estate. Maybe we are gunna see that with machinery sales too.

Last edited:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
What ever you call it, its a bit of an offensive lack of consideration for the other person imo. 1) I want $250. Great, I'll take it, when can I come?. No wait, I want more now. BS. 2) What would be easiest for me is if all you people drove out, when I want you to, and then started bidding. No kidding, but no thought to wasting time and gas for all.

Probably just inexperience, but still, it suggests a way of thinking (or not) and approaching things that imo isn't very acceptable.

Last edited:

JReimer

yeah I see it is now at $450. hopefully he takes your advice. even at that price I am still interested I just don't want to go through the effort and time to go check it out knowing he probably would change the price on me. Or not honor the price after I rent a trailer and make it out there to pick it up.

Birkhoff

Interesting and simultaneously frustrating thread.

The link provided by @David_R8 cautioned that lot of these Hendeys are heavily worn under the chuck due to soft ways. How do you avoid it becoming your personal home workshop paperweight without a proper inspection-- which the seller seems determined to avoid? He's probably not trying to hide anything but missing the point that his awkward lump of iron will become someone else's awkward lump of iron, plus the expense of moving it unless it can actually be put to work.

It is certainly a beautiful and interesting piece of engineering, but the risk seems awfully high the way it is being marketed. OTOH, if I was in the scrap metal business and had a big flat deck . . . different story! Definitely following to see how this works out.

-- Chris, Victoria

JReimer

heard back from him saying he has someone coming to look at it tomorrow for $500 and he will let me know if it doesn't sell.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
heard back from him saying he has someone coming to look at it tomorrow for $500 and he will let me know if it doesn't sell.

This whole thing is weird. Who sets an agreed price before they look unless they already know they want it?

And who tells the next guy in line that the previous offer before even seen was 500 but decided it was too much so you can have it for that now......

Sometimes I'm glad I'm old so I can be intolerant. I gotta give you guys credit for being so patient.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
He's a co-op student with a summer job at the place. .

bet the boss has no idea about all of this....surely they have more productive things for him to do. All this for a few hundred dollars?

Who sets an agreed price before they look

Internet BS x shit birds who don't know how to behave. Maybe he'll take it, if he shows. I dislike the anonymous internet offer. If someone offers and I accept, its sold, done deal, offer and acceptance....but that's not how it is with the classifieds. They offer, you accept and never hear from them again. You're left standing there with your er, micrometer, in your hand.

Now everything is "price is firm", so says the ad. If you make an offer, if I respond, its by increasing the price $10. To the ensuring incredulity I reply "$10 nuisance fee". Even for us old intolerant types doing that makes it a bit fun again lol :D

Last edited:

Birkhoff

bet the boss has no idea about all of this....surely they have more productive things for him to do. All this for a few hundred dollars?

Internet BS x shit birds who don't know how to behave. Maybe he'll take it, if he shows. I dislike the anonymous internet offer. If someone offers and I accept, its sold, done deal, offer and acceptance....but that's not how it is with the classifieds. They offer, you accept and never hear from them again. You're left standing there with your er, micrometer, in your hand.

Now everything is "price is firm", so says the ad. If you make an offer, if I respond, its by increasing the price $10. To the ensuring incredulity I reply "$10 nuisance fee". Even for us old intolerant types doing that makes it a bit fun again lol :D
This is hard to watch! Listing says `sale pending' since yesterday. Someone from this group? It's taking a long time if the beast is in decent shape. I guess the move will cost multiples of the eventual sale price, unless you happen to have time and equipment. Still, I thought it would be long gone by now.