• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Help with Canadian Tire toolbox lock

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
In a moment of weakness, and a 1/2 off sale, I bought this mid box to fit on a bench shelf.

(it shows a stack, but the ad is for the mid box )

mixed feelings on it, thin metal etc, but the disappointing part is its all air - didn't realize it but the total drawer height is like 1/2 of the units height so you don't get much space.

Anyway, so-so review aside, here's my problem. The unit arrive without a key. I searched every square inch of the packaging. Nothing. The left bank of drawers was locked and the right open. I figure the key is inside the left drawer, probably the lock mechanism banged around in shipping and I should be able to pick it. I can pick it, but can only get the lock to rotate 90 degrees, which opens/locks the right side and does nothing for the left. If anybody has one, can you tell me if the all 4 drawers are supposed to open with that 90 degree rotation, or is there some some special trick, like the key moves another 90 to open the second set? Going crazy this one....help while I have a wee bit of sanity left!

thanks.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
In a moment of weakness, and a 1/2 off sale, I bought this mid box to fit on a bench shelf.

(it shows a stack, but the ad is for the mid box )

mixed feelings on it, thin metal etc, but the disappointing part is its all air - didn't realize it but the total drawer height is like 1/2 of the units height so you don't get much space.

Anyway, so-so review aside, here's my problem. The unit arrive without a key. I searched every square inch of the packaging. Nothing. The left bank of drawers was locked and the right open. I figure the key is inside the left drawer, probably the lock mechanism banged around in shipping and I should be able to pick it. I can pick it, but can only get the lock to rotate 90 degrees, which opens/locks the right side and does nothing for the left. If anybody has one, can you tell me if the all 4 drawers are supposed to open with that 90 degree rotation, or is there some some special trick, like the key moves another 90 to open the second set? Going crazy this one....help while I have a wee bit of sanity left!

thanks.
Look underneath the drawers or under the top or on the inside side walls. The keys are often taped there.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The left side may have a locking bar at the back inside of the box that takes a bit of grunt to unlock using the key. If you remove one or both the right side drawers you'be able to see inside the box. Maybe the keys are laying in the bottom and you may be able to unlock the left side from there.
Otherwise you could return it and get one with keys.
Good luck.

So while I was at CT I asked them about your question. The short answer according to the CT lady is that if you have the proper key both sides should open at the same time.

If you bought a floor display piece they typically remove the keys because some people will snitch them and so your key could have been orphaned. You would have to enquire with the store where you purchased it and give them the key number which should show in small letters around the lock. If on the other hand your piece was in an unopened box the key could be under one of the liners inside a drawer, zip tied to an outer handle, or just inside one of the drawers.

The locking mechanism has a bar at the top which moves when the key is turned and frees or locks the drawers when the key is turned. On units with drawers on both sides there would be a bar on each side. If you pick the lock you potentially undo one side but not the other.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
thanks guys. There's no keys on any visible surface, and yes I did check the junk mail folder :). I bought it online, wouldn't fit in my car, so the hassle of calling them and doing a return etc, makes my head hurt.

Ian that was good of you check that out - thanks

I like the idea of getting a drawer out - when I pick it I can get the right side open...will go from there.

Mike

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
thanks guys. There's no keys on any visible surface, and yes I did check the junk mail folder :). I bought it online, wouldn't fit in my car, so the hassle of calling them and doing a return etc, makes my head hurt.

Ian that was good of you check that out - thanks

I like the idea of getting a drawer out - when I pick it I can get the right side open...will go from there.

Mike

If you can get one side open, you can get the drawer out and operate the lock mechanism from inside or even the lock bar at the back or front wherever it is. Maybe even remove the lock depending on where it is.

Some cabinets will open just by turning them upside down.

Perry

Ultra Member
Just a thought.

Maybe the key is inside, jamming the left side. Take the unit and shake the hell out of it in different orientations. Maybe some gentle tapping.

I know a few of my tools have "locked" drawers closed. (Usually fixed by removing a drawer above.)

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
So I got it open.

The lock was 90 degree rotation as suggested and opens all four drawers with one movement. The lock mechanism is a simple catch at the front beside the column. My picking was working the lock correctly. The keys were in one of the two large drawers that wouldn't open.

The drawer handles lift up a bit to release a catch, that catches on a small tab, pressed out of the sheet metal carcass. These tabs on the left side of the two problem drawers had become severely bent, I guess in shipping (i didn't put any force on anything) such that the drawer handle catch wouldn't clear the tab. Peeking in I eventually figured this out and with a old scale (thin and strong enough) was able to tap them up so they cleared the catch. Of course its all operating blind with no idea whats going on iside - I thought maybe the lock had two stages, or maybe were drawer catches on both sides etc.

Getting the working two drawers out was key. It let me see how it works and eventually deduce what the problem was

Really PO'd at Canadian Tire. I'd gladly pay a bit more to not every single item made as poorly and cheaply as possible. The metal was so thin and design so poor the product didn't even make it into my house in working order. And that was their Maximum line - which up until this I took as a premium, quality product. No more, its s**t like most all else they sell :( Probably have the better part of entire day wasted on it if I add it all up.

deep breaths!

Thanks all for your help on it.....I'll be back from infuriated to my regular old grumpy self in no time :)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
So I got it open.

After all that, I confess that the part that impressed me the most was you picking the lock......

Glad it's all good. Too bad the cabinet is such garbage.

pressed out of the sheet metal carcass

I also confess I laughed right out loud at you calling the thing a carcass. ... In my minds eye I could see a horde of bottle flies buzzing around it and a few vultures circling overhead!

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
After all that, I confess that the part that impressed me the most was you picking the lock......

hehe...that afforded one the few times I was able to claim hero status and rescue a damsel in distress. Might of told this story, but my wife works in an office tower and accidentally locked her purse, which had wallet and car keys, in her office. Height of covid and she was the only one on the floor. Calls in a panic, "don't worry dear, I'll be there shortly"....assuming the the roll of he who can do anything except load the dishwasher properly (between you and me that's feigned incompetence). She had her security pass around her neck so was able to get me to the floor where I proceed to pick the lock to her office. I'm a beginner at it, but those locks or ones on a tool box are easy.....but it might as well have been Fort Knox for how impressed she was :)

In my minds eye I could see a horde of bottle flies buzzing around it and a few vultures circling overhead!

Its the Maximum brand name the flies are buzzing around :)

Last edited:
Over the years I have seen most companies, work to reduce costs and improve product quality. IMHO CT is steadily working in the other direction for years unfortunately.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Glad you got the drawer open.

If you ever get frustrated with the quality of Canadian Tire/Princess Auto/Etc. Toolboxes, then ask for a quote from a custom manufacturer…

Be prepared for four to six times the cost of the equivalent Ukrainian Tire unit (likely with quality to match)