• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Help Identifying my Lathe

Brian G

I have recently acquired the lathe pictured below. It is in great shape but is missing any identifying information. It seems to be of Asian origin.

I am looking to identify the unit so that I can locate a manual for it, or at least find the feed speed selection plate information so that I can reproduce it.

lathe%20cropped_zpsdptoeyyy.jpg

Just%20landed_zpsq31wikew.jpg

John Conroy

Premium Member
That looks very much like my CanTek CT1440 lathe. Mine was made a Taiwan in the early 90s. They seem to have been sold under lots of brand names. I have a PDF of the manual. I could email it to you if you want.

P8110321_zpsda1b6876.jpg

P8110319_zps23a40613.jpg

Brian G

It looks like it could be the same unit with slightly different handles.
Could you get me a hi-res picture of the RPM selection chart, as well as that plaque to the left of it, on the gear cover? I am missing those.

20151028_161825_zps8badx8xc.jpg

John Conroy

Premium Member
I have emailed hi-res versions of these pics to Brian but in case anyone is wondering about the speed and treading charts on this lathe here they are in a lower resolution format.

John
12 speeds, 6 in each belt position
PA290010_zpsb9yf4q4j.jpg

Metric threading is achieved with change gears.
20151029_063948_zps0czxvx21.jpg

20151029_064016_zpscvo7owis.jpg

Tom O

Ultra Member
Email or take a pic of it to Modern tool they should be able to tell you and get you a manual for it.

Brian G

Thanks for these pics John. I see some apparent differences in the RPM selector. I have 3 selections for each lever. it seems that his one has two for one and three for the other. Is that correct?

Might this unit be a closer match? http://grizzly.com/products/g4016

Also, the metric info plate provides threading, as well as longitudinal and crossfeed rates, whereas the inch info plate seems to only reference threading rate. Is that correct? Is there a feed rate info plate somewhere?

Last edited:

John Conroy

Premium Member
It looks like your machine has 3 detents for each lever like mine. The middle detent on the vertical lever is neutral on my machine. With the 3 positions on the other lever I have a total of 6 speeds plus another 6 by changing belt positions. Is the middle position on one of your levers a neutral? The Grizzly machine has high and low range on one of the levers and 4 detents on the other for a total of 8 speeds. So I think it is different than either of our machines.
This a pic of the Grizzly selector levers. I have to say their manual is awesome compared to the chinglish one for my machine.
spindle%20speed%20selectors_zpstbdjzh9m.jpg

grizzly%20selector%20levers_zpssrkcmw1n.jpg

The feed rate in inches per revolution depends on the change gears that are in use but this chart is good for most applications. I have it printed and tacked to the wall near the machine.

Feed%20rate%20chart_zpsrecragyc.jpg

John

Last edited: