Help Identifying a Mechanism

Jeff T

Someone gave me this mechanism. I cleaned it up hoping to find a name or some identifier, but no luck. The big wheel has 100 divisions and the plate has markings from 2.5 to 5.5 coverings a distance of 1.5" The square stock to the rear is drilled out and has a spring loaded shaft that is held in position with a set screw. I tried Google's picture search and it does not find anything like it. Anyone recognize it or have a guess as to what its purpose is? It is obviously some sort of specialty measuring device, but for what purpose image0.jpeg

terry_g

Ultra Member
I used to use a similar tool to set the length of the cutter bit for cutting the cylinder liner counterbores on Cummins engines.
The square part with the plunger on the right is probably the setting standard.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Its a Princess Auto precision bench micrometer :)

No idea its intended use, its the basic function of a bench micrometer, but I'm guessing you knew that.

Other than the smart alec remark I've got nothing

Last edited:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Bit of speculation here...... shop made perhaps? Look at that stamping on the scale, bunch of messy "0"'s ..... and the indexed dial looks a lot like the ones on the old micrometer scales (balances).

On the units (what's the screw pitch?), if its 30 divisions on the scale over you say 1.5", and the dial is 100, then its 1/2 thou per dial graduation.

Shop made doesn't explain the base casting though.

1713963557516.jpeg

Last edited:

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Even the Google sucks (see previous thread), sometimes it works. That is possibly the base of a Dodge Scale Company micrometer scale.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Even the Google sucks (see previous thread), sometimes it works. That is possibly the base of a Dodge Scale Company micrometer scale.

That's what I suggested the dial might be from, but the bases are not alike.