• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Help!! Convolute Wheels for Deburring

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a Baldor 3/4HP buffer #332B which I bought 8-10 years ago. Brand new, in the box, sitting on top of shelving. I might as well set it up. I want to use it for deburring parts coming off the mill or lathe. Sometimes I spend a good hunk of time with a file or India stones deburing parts. Please give me some advice as to hardness, grit, etc. And tell me specifics. And what should I put on the other side? Wire wheel, polishing wheel, wagon wheel?

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
We have been using 3M EXL 9S FIN wheels primarily for deburring aluminum sheet metal parts, 3M also advises using them for steel machined parts. They come in a wide range of sizes and formulations, in both convolute and unitized which we use. There are application charts in the catalog. 3M sells adapter bushings to suit your shaft size (catalog pg. 23).

In our case we use 1/4" x 3" wheels in a die grinder because they're good for maneuvering into various part shapes.

The pdf catalog is here: 3M Surface Conditioning Wheels

You can see a wide range at Digikey.ca: 3M EXL at Digikey.ca Digikey is great for shipping, $8.50 is the typical charge for FedEx "overnight" unless you have something really big or heavy and I think over $100 gets free shipping. You probably can't beat their prices either, Digikey.ca shows pricing in $CDN.

BTW, for those who don't know, Digikey is a very large electronic components distributor and they don't give you a hard time about selling to an individual. Highly recommended.

I actually bought our stock via MSC because I didn't know Digikey carried the product, probably available at McMaster too.

Highly recommend the EXL for deburring.

D:cool:

We have been using 3M EXL 9S FIN wheels primarily for deburring aluminum sheet metal parts, 3M also advises using them for steel machined parts. They come in a wide range of sizes and formulations, in both convolute and unitized which we use. There are application charts in the catalog. 3M sells adapter bushings to suit your shaft size (catalog pg. 23).

In our case we use 1/4" x 3" wheels in a die grinder because they're good for maneuvering into various part shapes.

The pdf catalog is here: 3M Surface Conditioning Wheels

You can see a wide range at Digikey.ca: 3M EXL at Digikey.ca Digikey is great for shipping, $8.50 is the typical charge for FedEx "overnight" unless you have something really big or heavy and I think over $100 gets free shipping. You probably can't beat their prices either, Digikey.ca shows pricing in $CDN.

BTW, for those who don't know, Digikey is a very large electronic components distributor and they don't give you a hard time about selling to an individual. Highly recommended.

I actually bought our stock via MSC because I didn't know Digikey carried the product, probably available at McMaster too.

Highly recommend the EXL for deburring.

D:cool:
Thank you for this information.